Reason and Past Revealed

"No fair!"

A high pitched voice, cutting through the cold air outside of the Einzbern Castle.

"No fair! No fair! No fair! No fair!" Cried a small silver haired girl, who was stomping and screaming in front of a kneeling Kiritsugu. "You've been cheating the whole time Kiritsugu!"

"But Daddy has no chance of beating you otherwise." Said Kiritsugu as an apologetic but playful smile crept onto his face. The little girl's cheeks expanded in a pout as she turned around, crossing her arms. "If you keep trying to cheat, then I'm not going to play with you anymore." Illyasviel warned.

Smile widening, Kiritsugu said,

"I promise."

"Very well," Uncrossing her arms. "Then I shall accept your challenge!" Proudly putting her hands on her hips, "A champion must take on all challengers after all!"

Bowing low, Kiritsugu said, "You honor me... your highness." Immediately after, he scooped up the little girl in his arms, lifting her up so she was on his shoulders.

"Whee! I'm up high!" Illya cheered from atop her father's shoulders as he carried her through the snow, until he abruptly stopped. Nearly knocking the girl of his shoulders.

"Kiritsugu?" Illya said, looking down at her father.

Turning around, Kiritsugu looked past the snow covered trees to the Einzbern castle. Specifically towards a particular window, we're he could feel a gaze observing him. The dark navy blue of a cloak contrasted heavily to the pale whites and grays of the surrounding environment, the blue-green eyes of his servants eyes staring at the two of them.

Meeting his servants stare, Kiritsugu was shocked to see not judgement, but rather curiosity. His servants eyes were simply watching the father and daughter, but there was a sadness hidden behind his curiosity.

"Kiritsugu?" Illya bent down to look directly into her fathers eyes. Kiritsugu broke off his stare when he saw his daughters crimson eyes.

"It's nothing princess." Kiritsugu said, turning around as he walked away from the castle with Illya.

————————————————————————

Carefully balancing a silver plate carrying a tea set, Irisviel opened the door revealing the servant standing at the window. Alerted by the door opening, the servant cast a gaze backwards, acknowledging that someone had entered before returning his gaze back to the window.

"What are you looking at Saber?" Asked Irisviel as she placed the tea set into the nearby table. It was a few moments before "Saber" responded, as he said,

"Merely watching your husband play with your daughter."

Taking a seat across from Irisviel as she poured two cups of tea as he continued,

"It reminds of my relationship with my son."

"You had a son?" Asked Irisviel."

Taking a sip of the tea, Saber said,

"I did, but our relationship when he was your daughters age wasn't as yours and Kiritsugu's."

"I don't want to be insensitive, but may I ask why?"

"It's fine, when he was born I wasn't in the greatest place mentally. To say I wasn't a good father would've been an understatement, the way I treated him can only described as neglect. He hated me for almost the entirety of his childhood, and due to my duties as king along with outside pressure, wasn't able to properly raise him." Sabers eyes darkened with sadness as his face fell into a frown.