The End of the Beginning

This mass of shadow stood in front of Saber, and in its hand, was a bastard sword that Archer shot at Saber. The form of the servant was almost completely indiscernible, as only a faint outline of the figure could be seen. The servant in the shadow stood still as a bright red light from where the figure's would be cut through the shadows. Looking toward the sword that the servant held, saber saw as the once golden exterior was now becoming darker and gaining red vein-like cracks, almost like it was being corrupted by something.

"What just...happened?" asked Rider's master.

Grinning, Rider said,

"Apparently our new friend here saved Saber."

"Huh?"

"What? Don't tell me you missed it too?" Rider said, still watching the shadowed servant. "Before the weapons were about to hit Saber, the black being ran in front of him and caught on of the swords and used it to knock the other three away."

Rider's master's eyes drifted to the black servant, but widened as a revelation hit him.

"He's way too agile to be a caster, meaning that he has to be a Berserker. Yet for a madman he's quite Versatile. Say boy, how strong is our new arrival?"

"I... don't know..."

Holding his blade in a neutral position, Saber said,

"Thank for you the save."

Tilting it's helmet toward Saber, but almost immediately after the black knight returned its attention back toward Archer as it noticed an intense golden light from behind them. Hovering above Archer was a giant wall of golden portals, all poised to attack.

"Mad dog!" growled Archer, crimson iris's glowing in the night as approximately a hundred portals were primed and read to fire on the two servants. "You wish to perish alongside this fool as well then! Let me relieve you of your burden, mindless cur!"

The black knight and Thunder King instinctively tightened the swords, awaiting the onslaught of Noble Phantasms that were about to come their way. Lightning sparked from both Saber's blade as well as from his body. Saber was confident he would be able to dodge most if not all of the weapons, but he was certain even a stray hit could prove to end up fatal.

The onslaught, however never came as Archer had dispelled his portals, but clearly not of his own will. Archer's expression changed from a sadistic smirk to an annoyed scowl. "You dare withdraw a king from battle!"

Saber and Berserker exchanged looks of confusion as Archer muttered,

"He will pay for this. As will you Mad Dog." 

Archer's attention shifted to the rest of the heroes. "Prepare yourselves servants. Make sure your numbers thin, so that only the true heroes may face me." Looking at Saber. "You... Harlequin. Make sure we survive until we meet again." Flashing a smug grin towards Saber. "I will be finishing you off personally. Do not disappoint me." 

And with that, Archer disappeared into a cloud of golden dust. Turning so he fully faced Berserker, Saber said, 

"I appreciate the help. I'm not sure if I would've survived if it wasn't for you." 

For a several seconds, the black knight stood still. Soon, the knight began to turn to face Saber, starting from his head alway down to his legs, a slow turn as the crimson glow from his helmet met brilliant blue-green of Saber's eyes. For a while, the two knights stared at each other, neither speaking despite Saber's early attempt. Suddenly, Berserker began to walk forward, an agonizingly slow walk, but a walk nonetheless. And a guttural growl was emitted from Berserker that no one could understand, no one but Saber.