The Accidental Rescue

"The logistics utilized by the north and south will be of less use to us," Pascal warned Theodore as they strode through the crumbling corridor of one of the few remaining buildings atop Westcliff's mountain. Even though Pascal was limping, they refused to work any less than when they were at full health. They were also missing a large patch of their purple-pink hair, revealing a shining scalp beneath.

"Of course! Take as much space as you need!" Theodore thundered, expression earnest. He hadn't rested since the Westcliff ambush either, terrified for his wife and friends. He was one of the first to try to rescue the Gifted, even as the collapse was setting in.

"SCARLET! She's still down there!" He howled, dropping his weapon and sprinting towards the main office building without a second thought.

The only reason he failed to get in was because enough soldiers from all four war camps called out to him, jumping in front of him, begging him to stay. Of course, they understood why he was so upset, they knew that he was the husband of Eastvale's Gifted leader, but that was exactly why they could not allow him to risk his life so senselessly. The odds of success were just too low, and Theodore was still needed by the others.

He eventually acknowledged their pleas, but he was one of the first to return to Westcliff once the battle was over, leaving Eastvale to the Powers twins. Theodore was just as friendly and helpful as ever, but everyone on the team at Westcliff knew that it was just his thinly-veiled attempt at concealing how devastated he truly was; and none of them blamed him.

It's just like last time! It's just like last time! It's just like last time! Theodore tried to convince himself, but his brain refused to believe the lie. At least the last time something happened to Scarlet, he'd been certain that she was alive.

Beside him, Pascal heaved a sigh of relief, preoccupied with safely sending everyone home, and then slowly moving their camp out of Westcliff and into Eastvale. "Thank you, my friend. I and my soldiers will do all we can to ensure that the transition is as smooth as possible."

"Thank you as well." Even though Theodore sounded distracted, he still managed a kind smile at the smaller, smarter soldier.

In stark contrast, while Pascal and Theodore discussed logistics together inside, Storm and Eastla argued over the rescue operation outside.

"—and risk a second collapse?!" Eastla snorted. "It's not as simple as just taking a drill to the ground!"

"Well do you want them to starve to death?!" Storm shot back.

"So the options are a quick death or a slow death!" Eastla snorted again.

"At least we'd actually be doing something!"

"Woah, woah, woah! Hey there, ladies!" Aces stepped fearfully between Storm and Eastla, hands raised, grinning sheepishly.

"Ladies?" Storm looked seconds away from punching him hard enough to break his nose. Eastla grabbed Aces' shoulder to pull him back.

"Storm. If you want to help so badly, what have you been able to do so far?" Aces asked calmly, holding her gaze and holding his ground against Eastla. The question, and his demeanor, stunned both women into silence and actually got Storm to think.

Not as much as I'd like... It had been days and still zero progress was made for the Gifted trapped inside the mountain. That was why Storm's patience was running so thin! Theodore wasn't the only one to try going back when the mountain began to collapse.

"IRIS!" As soon as Storm felt the ground shake beneath her feet, her heart and stomach plummeted, and she took off before she even knew what she was doing. Like Theodore, the only reason she failed in her objective was that Gale threw himself in front of her and prevented her from leaving.