6

Here they are. Right in front of me. Looking shy, cute, and nervous. They had a small blush on their cheeks, making them look even more adorable than normal. "I know it's you, but I have to ask you this. What did you leave behind and can you describe it?" They seemed to relax a little. 

"Yeah. It was my Mama's necklace with angels wings and the words 'Of the Angels' inscribed on the back." They said nervously, like they were actually wrong. I smiled. 

"I found you." I breathed. I leaned down and gave them a small peck, making their face explode with color. It was just as perfect as the first time. Butterflies and all. 

"You found me." They agreed, softly. 

"Before I forget, what's your name?" I asked. I can't believe I didn't get their name last time. 

"Nico. Nico di Angelo." They told me, barley above a whisper. I blushed at their accent. 

"It suits you. You're both perfect." They ducked their head to hide it from me.

"Here." I chuckled and handed them their necklace. They grabbed it and instantly put it on. They looked perfect. I gave them a hug. They hesitated but then wrapped their arms around my middle. We stayed like that a few minutes, enjoying the peace and quiet, relishing in the fact that we were together. 

"We have to go out there..." Nico said, hesitantly unwrapping their arms from me. I grabbed them before they dropped to their sides, making us hold hands. I sighed. 

"I know. But I don't want to." I whined, causing them to giggle. 

"The Prince of Half-Blood, whining like a toddler. What a sight." I lightly smacked their arm. 

"Shut up." I said, without a trace of menace in my voice. 

"Seriously though, my family doesn't particularly like waiting." I held their hands tighter at the subject. 

"If...if you don't mind me asking...are you out to them? As non-binary." 

"How do you know that?" They asked confused. 

"There's a flag on my wrist." 

"Oh. Well, I've told them...but they seem to ignore it. I haven't brought it up since." 

"They're deadnaming you, Nico." They sighed, ruffling their bangs. 

"I know. But you can't pick your family." They shrugged like it wasn't a big deal. 

"You can, though." I told them, working up the courage to ask my next question. "Why...why does your family live in this big house with fancy clothes, while you don't wear anything fancy? Is that your choice or theirs?" They paused. 

"It's...somewhat my choice. I don't particularly like fancy things, but it's not my choice to have to wear things like this." They picked at the towels they made into a robe. "They..." I rubbed the back of their hand, comfortingly. 

"It's okay. You don't have to continue if you're not comfortable. But this might be for your safety, Sunshine." 

"They...they've never really liked me. They avoided me whenever they could, but they still cared about me. Until my Mama died...then my sister, Bianca. My father felt like I reminded him to much of them and threw out a lot of my stuff. Persephone, my step-mother had never really took her anger out on me about my father cheating on her until that point and she started making me do all the chores. Then, my sisters followed their examples. Hazel, my only good half-sister, had moved out at this point before it got bad. So, I had the entire house against me. They make...they make me do everything around the house. Cook, clean, sew, answer the door, wake them up, remind them of important events...and if I don't..." They started crying. I pulled them back into a hug.