The Sound

The two turned around. Nothing. They assumed the other heard it as they looked at each other for confirmation.

"..Dib.. Doesn't this trail lead to the graveyard..?"

"Sorta. It forks somewhere along the line. One side of the trail leads to the graveyard and the other doesn't."

Dib continues walking without noticing Zim's halt.

Zim whispers under his breath,

"The Blood Drawn..."

He looks back at Dib, Dib stopping and turning his head to face Zim.

"You coming, Zim?"

"U-Uhm! I... Don't think we should go this way..."

Dib raised an eyebrow.

"What? Why?"

Zim gulped. And he spoke in a hushed mumble.

"Dib.. It's dangerous. We shouldn't continue.."

Dib furrowed his brow a bit.

"That's enough, Zim. You always act so suspicious- even when we're having a good time. Just tell me what's wrong, and I can help!.. Maybe.."

Zim sighed.

"I can't tell you.. It'd mess everything up.. You would hate me."

"That.. That's not true.."

Dib looked down, not sure if he would or wouldn't hate Zim. Either way, ashamed.

Zim took a deep breath.

"Dib, we should just turn around. It's for your safety.."

Dib blushed ever so slightly at Zim's comment, but- didn't know what he meant by safety.

"What do you mean, 'safety? What exactly are you protecting me from?"

Zim narrowed his eyes, trying to muster up whatever courage he had left.

"Dib.. promise you won't hate me..."

Dib looked serious, but he noticed that Zim looked nervous.

"..Promise."

Zim spoke quietly.

"Dib.. I.. I'm..-"

Just then, another branch cracked. The two boys turned around, instead of nothing, the same entity was there. The one from the graveyard. Zim widened his eyes and so did Dib. Dib froze while Zim quickly grabbed his wrist and ran. The two were silent, Dib too afraid to speak, Zim too focused on escaping. The entity continued to chase them. The boys noticed that it's speed had declined since before. Only Zim knew why..