First Sighting

Moonlit Meetings:

Chapter 1:

The Police officer known as Ciel Durless yawned and peered hopefully at the clock on the wall in the task force office. He had half an hour before he could leave and nothing to do because he couldn't get any leads on the elusive thief he was investigating, mainly because he actually was the phantom thief in question.

"Are you sure that Scene of Crime Officers could not pick up any DNA or fingerprints from the scene?" he asked his assistant, an older officer called Tanaka who also assisted in his criminal activities.

Tanaka shook his head. "Fortunately not. There was a close call with a hair from your wig which I managed to pick up without anyone noticing."

Ciel frowned. "I will try to be more careful next time. It's fortunate that I am head of the task force that is supposed to capture my alter ego."

Naturally it wasn't a coincidence. Once he had decided that the way to investigate his parents' mysterious death, was by creating a false persona of a phantom thief, he had made sure to infiltrate the team investigating the aforementioned phantom thief. He was already a respected police officer beforehand so it hadn't been too challenging and he had ended up being in charge of the task force after some well placed bribes.

"What is the media saying about last night?" he enquired curiously. Comments about the inefficiency of the investigating officers were always a source of amusement.

Tanaka held up a newspaper in reply. Ciel stared at the photo taking up a majority of the front pages which was of a man dressed entirely in black with a black cape and a matching mask and hat. He made a face upon observing the angle had been taken from. It clearly showed that he was below average height, something that he was sensitive about.

"The elusive Phantom Thief strikes again, leaving Chief Inspector Ciel Durless in a tizzy. This is the tenth time that the Chief Inspector has let the thief escape unhindered," Tanaka read aloud from the newspaper. "All the newspapers are running similar stories. You can check for yourself.

"Considering that I am the thief in question, it is beneficial, but we may be audited soon or I may be removed from this investigation team. We could leave behind some clues at the next heist," he suggested thoughtfully. "The longer this double life continues, the more likely it is that we will all lose our positions in the task force."

The third occupant of the office finally spoke up.

"Actually, you aren't being removed, a new member is being added to be the team," Mey-Rin said. "An email was sent just now."

Ciel's eyes widened and he hastened to check his inbox. As Mey-Rin had said, there was indeed an email from one of his superiors about the addition to the team. He skim read the email hurriedly to find out the name of the new member.

"Inspector Sebastian Michaelis."

Below the name was a photo. Sebastian Michaelis had long black hair with a long stranded fringe and piercing scarlet eyes. He looked to be a few years older than himself.

He turned to the member of the team whose main duty was to pick up on gossip.

"Mey-Rin, have you ever heard of Sebastian Michaelis?"

"I have. To say he is slightly well known to all the females here at Scotland Yard is an understatement, he is very famous," she explained. "He has had a fast rise through the ranks and hasn't had an unsolved case yet. Everyone considers him to be attractive too."

She paused and Ciel observed that her face had flushed a deep red which he had never seen before.

"Mey-Rin, do you have something else to add?" Tanaka asked her.