Ninth Sighting

Moonlit Meetings:

Chapter 9:

Ciel crossed one leg over the other and seemed to consider the proposition. He exchanged looks with his conspirers before coming to a decision.

"I agree there is a benefit in us working together so we should pool our knowledge and plan together," he paused. "If you ever betray us or this turns out to be a ploy to get evidence against me, Aunt Ann will deal with you."

The mention of Ciel's aunt made Sebastian feel like someone was walking over his grave and he hastened to deny Ciel's statement.

"I promise. We can make a contract if you like," he suggested. Ensuring that Ciel trusted him was important.

Once the contract was constructed and signed by everyone, Sebastian relaxed. Angelina now looked less threatening and Ciel wasn't glaring at him. Tanaka even offered him tea and Mey-Rin passed him a plate of biscuits.

Ciel began the discussion by producing the heist notice.

"We know our deadline for working out a plan. We have two weeks and we can't start properly until Mey-Rin and Tanaka visit tomorrow. Sebastian, can you give us any important information about the house?"

Sebastian was about to answer when he realised that he had to tell Ciel that Ash had indeed murdered his parents. If it was found out later that he had known, Ciel would hate him.

"Before I answer," he hesitated for a moment. "Ash told me earlier that the phantom thief was targeting him to find evidence that he had killed the phantom thief's parents. He also confessed to doing it."

Ciel's grip on the piece of card shook a little before he regained control. He gave Sebastian a small smile.

"We already suspected it was him so it isn't really a shock," he answered calmly.

"In the very least it will not be a pointless heist like the early ones," Tanaka interjected. "We can stop breaking the law after this."

"That would be nice," Mey-Rin agreed. "I always worry about Ciel getting arrested."

"You're an accessory to all the crimes he committed," Sebastian reminded her.

"You are in the same position," the phantom thief pointed out. "You signed the contract."

Inside he was still mistrustful of Sebastian. The contract had allayed some of his misgivings. The others had thought it was a good idea for them to group together and they were in the majority. He recalled in the beginning that he had thought it would be better if Sebastian was on their side because of his instincts and intelligence, so why was he worried?

Perhaps he was worried that Sebastian was going to question him about the kiss now that he knew who the phantom thief was. He decided it was best to avoid thinking about it.

***

The atmosphere at the office was different the next day. The sun was shining, Sebastian made tea and they were all on the same side. Ciel didn't have to worry about letting information slip or being caught out by Sebastian.

As Mey-Rin and Tanaka were visiting Ash Landers, he and Sebastian were alone in the office. They were sitting around one of the tables and having a competition to have the best infiltration and exit plan. It was something to pass the time before they could gain more information from Mey-Rin and Tanaka.

"I think we should get hold of some flash bombs, a mannequin and a hang glider. When I have found the evidence, I can use the flash bombs as a diversion and use the dummy and the hang glider to make it look like the thief escaped off the roof whilst I rejoin everyone as myself," Ciel related his hypothetical plan.