Seventh Sighting

Moonlit Meetings:

Chapter 7:

Ciel was noticeably muted for the rest of the day and didn't even respond to Sebastian offering him tea. He was too worried. There was a slight chance that Sebastian would remember Lizzie's surname and trace her family tree and notice some inconsistencies regarding her cousin Ciel Durless. He had only realised it once they had returned to Scotland Yard.

There was no birth certificate for a Ciel Durless, instead there was one for a Ciel Phantomhive. Deep in his mind he felt there was a greater significance to that as if someone else could have a similar inconsistency, but he had more important things to worry about so he dismissed it.

He also had to worry about what Sebastian had asked Lizzie. He had asked her to relate their conversation and she had. Sebastian had been interested in Alois' address which ultimately would not lead anywhere as the wig Ciel used had gone through several addresses before reaching Mey-Rin's. There was no harm there which was why he had allowed the clue to be found, however he felt that Sebastian as closing in on him.

This meant that they needed to carry out the heist on Ash Landers' house as soon as possible. Their problem was a lack of information about the interior. His aunt who had provided some information, hadn't been there to a party there for 13 years. That could mean that the psycho dog was no longer alive which made it slightly more appealing to Ciel. Alternatively it could mean there was even more security.

The only thing they could do was send the notice and visit as members of the investigation team. The potential problem with that was that Sebastian could notice that they were casing the property rather than taking notes on how to guard it.

It had been Ciel's intention to leave immediately after work had ended and meet up with his aunt, Mey-Rin and Tanaka later to explain his worries and then to contact Alois to warn him about Sebastian. He had a feeling that Alois wasn't taking it seriously. His plan was ruined by Sebastian accosting him at the door.

"What do you want?" Ciel demanded.

"I am aware that you don't like me, but can we have a serious conversation?" Sebastian requested.

That was the last thing Ciel wanted to do. He had spent most of the day trying to avoid talking to Sebastian. That said, it would seem suspicious if he out rightly refused to speak to Sebastian so he accepted.

"Let's do it somewhere else," his rival suggested. "Before you say anything, it is not a roundabout way of asking for a date."

The pair ended up in the canteen of Scotland Yard as neither wanted to spend long there and had other plans for the evening. Ciel screwed up his face in disgust when Sebastian insisted on getting tea there as he knew from past experience that it was a tasteless brown liquid. If Sebastian's intention was to torture him with tea then it definitely was not a date.

"What do you want to talk to me about?" Ciel asked after taking an experimental sip of the tea to check it still tasted horrible.

"I have an interest in getting a promotion. If we caught and arrested the phantom thief we would all get promotions as a reward. There is a benefit in catching the phantom thief for everyone except the phantom thief," Sebastian explained.

He had decided it was time to tackle Ciel directly about the possibility that his friend was the phantom thief. It was a perfect opportunity. His superior officer had been distracted and worried all day and now he was annoyed with him for buying him foul tasting tea. It had been evident from past occasions that Ciel let things slip when he was annoyed.

"Is that so? I never thought about it that way," Ciel said in an uninterested tone.

"With your past experience you probably know the main motives for committing a crime," Sebastian laid the bait.