4. The Professor

I sat at the Defence Against the Dark Arts class sitting next to Hermione silently looking at the man with a goofy eye. Hermione informed me beforehand that this was. 

"Alastor Moody," he soon wrote his last name on the board. "Ministry malcontent, and your new Defence Against the Dart Arts teacher. I am only here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye. Any questions?" 

Jeez, he doesn't seem to be welcoming at all. The silence crept up to everyone and even I felt the need to behave. 

"When it comes to Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which one of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"  

His eyes dart all around. I knew the answer, every witch and wizard know the answer: it was three. My father told me of stories about my great grandfather and great grandmother being able to use such unforgivable curses. He said that they used them for good, for self defence.  

I guess times changed. 

I looked next to me with Hermione's voice ringing. "Three, sir."  

"And they are so named?" He wrote on the board, its reason while Hermione spoke. 

"Because they are unforgivable, using one..." 

"...Will lead you straight to Azkaban. Correct! Now the Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do but I say different!" 

It was obvious that Professor Moody was very passionate of this topic, seeing as is that he's an auror beyond anything else. 

"You need to know what you're up against, to be prepared—you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!" 

I was amazed that despite being behind, he was able to see Seamus—as Harry introduced me earlier on—exactly stick is gum on the underside of his desk, disgusting. 

Seamus groaned, muttering how Professor Moody could see behind his back, and earned a chalk tossed right at his desk. I chuckled in response, but Professor Moody wasn't amused at all. 

He walked up to our desk. "You found that amusing, did you?" 

"No, sir," I promptly said, not wanting to go to detention in my first official day. 

"Well, decide which curse shall we see first,"