4

Spider

He was banging the glass, screaming, hissing, roaring. He yelled every curse word that he could think of. He even picked up the chair from inside the room and threw it against the glass. Nothing. 

It was only when the door opened that he stopped, and hid under the table. 

Coward.

Through the door came, not Quaritch like he expected, but a girl. One that might be his age. The one that he saw in the forest. 

She was wearing a black T-Shirt, army-green pants, and black boots. Her hair was, also, black and tied in one braid that hung over her shoulder. Her eyes were green. Something about her made his heart flutter. 

Focus. She is one of them. 

They talked for sometime, and he found out that she goes by the name Scarlett. He thought that it suited her. 

Just as she was about to leave, he couldn't help but ask if she would come back. Even though he was tense around her, there was something about her that made him feel that she was different from the others. 

Probably the fact that she insulted her own team. 

When she left, he went back to banging on the glass, just to show the others that he is not weak, that they can't tame him. 

After a while, he tried himself out, dropped down, and drifted off to sleep. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a while, Spider woke up with a start. He was still in the room, but there was also another man there. 

He had an avatar body, but it was not Quaritch. 

This new man grabbed Spider by the shoulder, and forced him into another room, which had a lot of people in there, along with Quaritch and a...torture device, maybe. 

There was a chair, with straps to hold however sitting there in place. At the top were two long screens, built so that they would be spinning around the chair. 

The man pushed Spider on to the chair. Spider thrashed and struggled, but the man managed to buckle up the straps, keeping Spider in the chair. He, also, put a mask on him so that Spider wouldn't be able to close his eyes. 

The man backed away and, suddenly, the screens turned into a bright shade of green that burned Spider's eyes. They began to spin around him, which made the burning worse. 

He began to scream. 

"Where is Jake Sully?" someone began to ask. 

"I DON'T KNOW!" he yelled. He won't give up his family to these people. He won't. He pictured his childhood with people, not with avatars, not with Jake Sully. He pictured anything but Jake Sully and his family, hoping that would fill up his brain so that they won't see the deeper edges of his mind. 

After a few more minutes of screaming, the screens suddenly went blank and stopped moving. When they stopped, Spider realized two things. One, his nose was slightly bleeding. Two: It was Quaritch who stopped the device. 

He was whispering something in the woman's ear. Spider just stared in shock at him. 

Maybe Quaritch cares about him. Who knows?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spider was shoved back into the room that he was in before. He didn't bother banging on the door or glass. It won't do any good. Plus, he was too shaken up. 

He ducked back underneath the table, and sat down, rocking himself back and forth in an effort to calm himself down. 

He heard the door open, but he didn't look to see who came in. It was like he couldn't move his neck. "Under the table again, huh?" a voice said. 

He closed his eyes. He remembered that voice. That voice was there yesterday. He used that voice to fill up his brain to prevent the others from seeing inside it. He, also, used that person the voice belonged to to do the same. 

Scarlett bent down to make eye contact with him underneath the table. "You're tough." she said. "I'll admit that." 

Spider looked away. 

She jumped up on the table, her legs dangling off and in sight for him to see. 

Man, she has good legs.  

Where did that thought come from? He shook it off, and turned to focus on his knees. 

"I understand if you're shaken up." Scareltt said. "But, they sent me here to talk to you, again." 

Silence. 

"You wanted this." she said. "You asked me if I was coming back, and here I am." 

"Just curious." Spider muttered.

"Should I tell you how I got here?" she asked. "In exchange for Jake Sully's location." 

Spider shook his head. "I'm telling it anyway." he heard Scarlett say. 

He heard her take a deep breathe, and she began.