6

Spider

Spider went back underneath the table, after hearing Scarlett's story. He was not shaken up, but rather sad. For her. 

He knew that she was sad, but she wouldn't let it show on her face. He knew that because, he would have done the same thing, especially around strangers. 

He didn't know what he was thinking, hugging her. He was trying to make her happier, but, instead, made things more awkward. 

In his arms, she was so small, but so warm. Not the anger kind of warm, which is in the vibe that she carries around, but more of a inviting warmth, that made him want to snuggle up beside her at night. 

Spider sighed, and put his face between his knees. He messed up, got that. But, he still hoped that she would come back. 

He knew that she was one of them. A sky person. But, he still wanted to see her again. 

The door opened, and he turned his head to see if it was Scarlett, but no, it was Quaritch. 

Quaritch entered the door, and left the door open. Spider got up, and stood up on the opposite side of the table. When Quaritch approached his side, Spider ran to the door, but Quaritch grabbed him and forced on the table. 

Spider snarled and struggled, but stopped, knowing that he can't overthrow the giant avatar. He calmed down, and looked away from him. 

Quaritch held up a dog tag. "Quaritch Soccoro, decreased." he said. "Killed in action." 

Spider didn't take it. He wanted nothing to do with his father. Quaritch forced it into his palm. Spider looked at it, then tossed it away, trying to send a hint to Quaritch.

Quaritch looked at the dog tag, then sat down besides him. "I'm not that man," he said. "But, I have his memories. Enough to show that he wasn't the best dad." 

Spider wanted to scoff. Yeah, no shit. 

Quaritch continued. "I have a proposal for you." he said. "You're loyal, so you won't rat out Sully." 

Spider waited. Where was this going? 

"You come with us to find Sully." Quaritch said. "Through Pandora. Or, I would have to hand you back to the lab coats there." 

Spider remembered the device. He hated it. Hated it so much. But, he sort of liked it, since Scarlett came to visit him afterwards. If he had to go through that device a hundred times to see Scarlett again, he would, weirdly, so it. 

Quaritch might have noticed this because he said "I'll bring Scar along. I noticed how close you two have become." 

Spider looked at him in surprise. "What do you say?" he asked. "We got a deal?" 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were outside, where a helicopter has landed. Spider hopped in it, grabbing on of the guns stuck to it. 

"Cool." he said. 

Quaritch came over and pressed him onto a bench. "There is a tracker in your mask." he said. "If you run, we'll know and I'll come get you and give a whole school ass whopping, understood?" 

Spider stayed silent. Quaritch shook his head. "Understood?" he asked, more forcefully. 

"Yes, sir." Spider said sarcastically. 

Quaritch let him go and went around the helicopter, making sure everything is going smoothly. 

Spider got up and looked around for Scarlett. There! At the back. 

She was sitting down and loading her small gun with bullets. She was wearing a mask that covered everything but her eyes, which were still as green as usual. 

Spider sat down beside her. "'Sup?" he said. 

"Don't know why Quaritch wants me here." she said, not looking up. "I was just on another mission." 

To keep me here. Spider thought. To keep me from leaving. 

When they were about to take off, Scarlett put the gun in the brown bag that she was carrying and looked out the window. 

Spider looked out too, and saw how high they were. One wrong step and you're dead. 

Spider closely scooted closer to Scarlett, not that she noticed. "Why do they call you Scar?" he asked. 

"I can give you permanent scars if you mess with me." she responded, still looking out the window. "Best not to get into it." 

Spider moved his thoughts about Scarlett away, for now, and thought about how they might find Jake. 

I hope I made a good decision.