𝟛.

"Okay but why does coco melon look so... stupid?"

Everyone at the table let out another sigh the moment I got back to dissing that dumb, animated baby. "Seriously, what do you have against coco melon, y/n?" Jeremiah asks, amused, as him and Steven continued scrolling through some more coco melon memes.

"His name is Baby Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt." Conrad corrects, feeling attacked by my disdain for the cursed show. "All the more reason to hate that bullshit baby." I shrug, having another bite of my food. "Bullshit baby?" Steven laughs.

"Just looking at his stupid haircut makes me wanna pound his skull with a damn coconut." I grumble, not really knowing myself why I couldn't stand that show, or any of the characters in it. Except maybe the dog, Smooch Pooch, as he's the only sane character in there.

Except when he starts singing and dancing just like the rest of them. What even is up with that? 

"Steven, I swear to god, if you look at that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket." Laurel scolds, making Steven roll his eyes. "We just wanna see your beautiful faces." Susannah chimes in. 

"And possibly not witness the brutal murder of your phone which y/n would commit if she sees yet another coconut meme." The raven adds. "Hey, it's coco melon. Not coconut. There's a difference." Conrad corrects yet again.

"And the protagonist's name is Baby Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt." He adds, making us all crack. "Protagonist-" Jeremiah and Steven snort, making me chuckle as well. "You seem to know a lot about that show." Belly remarks.

"I'm just well-informed. That's all." Connie looks away, embarrassed. "Oh yeah? Well, in that case, when's the new season coming out, and what's gonna be it's major plot?" I inquire seriously, after Jeremiah and I exchange expressions.

"Oh, next month, actually." Connie quickly answers.

"In fact, I heard they're going to Bali for a family vacation to spread--" He starts, but quickly shuts up when he realizes what's going on, and shoots the rest of us, who were nearly rolling on the floor now, laughing, a death glare.

"Aww, don't worry Coco. Your secret's safe with me." I wink at him, making the others laugh some more at that nickname I just gave him. "I think you mean Baby Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt." Steven corrects, deepening his voice to mock the boy, making us all laugh some more.

"Bro, no way- He was right about the plot though..." He then shows us his phone, the plot written in bold. "Can dinner please be a screen-free zone? You know, like the olden days." Susannah requests, containing her laughter.

Steven obviously ignores her, scrolling through the other details of the show, which was getting a whole damn movie regarding the Bali adventure now, and shows it to me, under the table. "y/n, Steven." Jeremiah calls, but we don't pay any attention to him.

And just then, the phone was ripped outta Steven's hand, right when we were about to read the release date of this garbage film. "Hey-" I call, but the phone had already been tossed away, and to the screen basket lying nearby. It was a perfect shot, I'd give him that.

"Dude- Are you kidding me?!" Steven scoffs.

"BOOM! Nailed it." Jeremiah grins, goofily flexing his muscles. "Okay okay okay, we get it. You're a gym-bro now." I roll my eyes, unamused, but hella impressed. "Yeah, there's no need of flexing how much you work out bro-" Steven scoffs.

"Oh, you're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you." Belly teases her brother.

"All bodies are beautiful bodies!" I defend, the wokeism in me awakening. "Unless it's Steven. Then he's just dumb no matter what he does." I then add jokingly. "Ouch, go back to hating Baby Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt, you crone." Steven fires back.

"Besides, it's all about the lean look now." He then defends himself. "Otherwise you can't wear tailored suits." He adds in a dignified manner. "Sure, sure." Belly false-agrees with him, mocking him some more. "Tailored suits." Coco repeats.

"Hey, when are you leaving for training camp, man?" I then ask Conrad, whom I had bullied enough for the day. I'm guessing I shouldn't have said that, for all the smiles had now faded. "Oh uh, he quit football." Jeremiah answers on everyone's behalf, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"What? When?" I ask, astonished. "Wait... really? You actually quit?" Steven questions, equally surprised. "Mhm..." He simply nods his head. "Are you kidding me, man? I-I'd kill to play college ball-" Steven deadpans. "You always loved football though-" Belly adds.

"He can always change his mind." Susannah assures her son more than the rest of us. "I'm NOT gonna change my mind." He rolls his eyes. "I was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyway." He then shrugs. "Out of choice?" I wonder aloud, knowing that he was too good to be a pathetic benchwarmer.

"Well then, if you're not playing football anymore... What are you gonna do all summer?" Laurel asks, to which she just earned a shrug for response. "Oh, dude you can come and work at the club!" Steven suggests. "A club?" I repeat. "Yeah, with me and Jere." He elaborates.

"Damn, didn't expect you do get into that stream already. Do they know you're both underage?" I question. "Or does that just turn them on more?" I then mumble to myself, making Susannah choke a little on her drink. "Country Club, y/n..." Laurel sighs, making me laugh awkwardly.

"I'm not working at the club." Connie refuses. "Wait, you guys are all working this summer?" Belly then asks. "Yeah, I'm lifeguarding, and Steven's working at the snack shop." Jere informs, and they both do their handshake.

I don't know why, but hearing that the boys will be busy this summer kinda made my smile disappear. It's gonna be just as I feared... Things are not gonna be the same as they used to be. I'll be left all alone this summer as well, only at a better destination.

I guess Susannah must've sensed the disappointment that flooded the room, for she quickly changed the topic now, getting up and walking to her bag. "You girls... I almost forgot something." She smiles, returning to us with a couple of letters sorta thingies.

"I have a surprise for you two..."