Sixteen

I'm back in the cell. Middle of the night. It has to be there's no light coming through the window. Not even the moon. But it's so warm. And getting warmer. For some reason the paper thin mattress isn't pushed up into the far corner anymore. It's in the middle of the room and I'm sat in the middle of that, knees to my chest, waiting for the inevitable. But it never comes. The walls are burning. On fire like they're made of paper but it's not crumbling.

I'm staring at the door as the voice behind it shouts. I can't make out who it is or what they're saying but it's loud and the fire is roaring and there's blood in my ears and on my hands and I'm burning. Burning.

The heat is getting more intense, pressure wrapping itself around me until I can't breathe.

"You're okay Rey," A touch to my forehead and everything is gone. No room. No fire. No shouting. I'm staring at flesh. A tattoo across Leo's chest. "Just a nightmare babe. You're fine. It's not real. Go back to sleep." He shifted, turning onto his side and pulling me further into his chest, arms wrapping around my upper body until I was certain not even a shadow could touch me.

"Did I wake you up?"

"I'm a very light sleeper," He murmured. Whispering with his eyes still closed. I tipped my head up to look at him. I was completely entwined with him. My legs wrapped around his, my arms, one over his side, the other pressed against his taut skin between us both. "You were breathing really heavy and fidgeting. I'll wake you up again if another starts."

"Sorry - I can-"

"If you even suggest leaving my arms and sleeping elsewhere right now I will get up and dog ear every single page of all of your books."

"You're a monster."

"For everyone but you."

"You wouldn't hurt my books."

"Why not?"

"Because now I know how to shoot a gun I would 100% shoot you. Not deadly. Maybe like a knee or your foot." A sleepy smile settled on his lips and Leo pulled me a little closer.

"Bold of you to assume I'd let you have a gun if you were pissed at me. I'm not coming within 5 feet of you when you're mad. I've learned my lesson."

"Then don't make me mad. Simple solution really."

These 2am conversations with Leo were quickly becoming my favourites. The peace in the house and the lack of listening ears meant I could hear him say things I never thought I would. Life didn't feel peaceful right now. I feel like I'm in some high intensity training for some war everyone knew was coming but the powers that be weren't sharing any details.

I knew something was happening. I knew dad and the boys wanted revenge or something for what happened to me. A warning to the world to show them what happens when you touch me. I knew that's why dad was continuously checking in with Leo about how I was doing. It's why at every family dinner I was asked what I'd learned today, what Leo had shown me. The boys were often nursing bruises and minor cuts around the house and the girls had been planning something on huge pieces of paper in side rooms, doors quickly closing as I walked past. Whatever it was, it wasn't small and I don't think they were expecting an easy fight.

"I didn't want to make you mad in the first place," Leo breathed. "Need me to kiss you again like I did earlier or are you going to just go back to sleep?"

"Do you know how to bake?" He chuckled. "What? It's a genuine question."

"It's like 2am Freya. You're not teaching me to bake at 2am on a Saturday morning." His eyes were open now. Heavy and dark but looking at me.

"Not now. Tomorrow. Well. In the morning."

"You want to bake?" I nodded. "Okay. I'm teaching you to make pasta though."

"What makes you think I don't know how to make pasta?"

"Do you?"

"No. But that's not the point," Leo laughed quietly, lifting his head and putting it back down in the pillows. "I make some really good cookies-"

"Freya?"

"Mhm?"

"I love listening to you talk," He closed his eyes again. "Your voice is honestly the best thing I've ever heard in my life. You can read the entire dictionary to me tomorrow if you wanted to. Every word and every definition. But right now, I need you to close your eyes and go back to sleep."

My stomach flipped. I took my hand from around his waist moving it up to push his hair out of his face. I know I'm annoying but the thought of going back to sleep and having nightmares on a continuous spiral was frustrating me. I was happy here, watching him, feeling him under me. I'd be able to block everything else out if I could focus on him. Every breathe and twitch. The movement of his eyes behind closed lids. The twitching of his fingers as he dreamed.

"You're not sleeping Rey."

"I can't help it. You're so pretty." He chuckled, letting go of me to grab my hand off his face, placing a kiss on the back. Leo put my hand between us, changing his hold on me until it was stuck and I couldn't move.

"Sleep."

"But-"

"I'll be right here in the morning Freya. And tomorrow and the day after that and after that. I'm not going anywhere. You can sleep and I'll still be here to make sure you're okay. You don't have to sit here and stare at me like I'm going away or like something's going to happen. It's not. You can play with my hair and do whatever the hell you want to me in the morning."

"Whatever I want?"

"Whatever you want." He smiled. "But you've got to fall asleep, like right now."

"Done."