Twenty Four

It took a little convincing to get me to go down for one, but Leo had been very persistent. He'd been told that everything was happening tonight. Most likely, they would be expecting it tomorrow so tonight was the best chance at us catching them off guard. Dad had called in favours he was owed and apparently the house was about to be filled with family members I hadn't seen in years. Aunts and uncles, not only from across the country but from across the world. They'd jumped on planes the second I'd left dad's office last night and had been landing all day. I was just glad I was being taken seriously on this. Maybe me snapping was what caused this or maybe dad really didn't want an innocent by stander getting caught up in all this. Whatever it was, Alara was going to be safe and I was going to murder Zane for even thinking about hurting her.

It was going to be a long night and getting as much rest as possible now, before it all happens was essential. Having Leo pressed against my naked body was just one of many positives. Laying in his arms, like this whilst he was still asleep, I was able to take him in properly for the first time. I feel like for the past 7 weeks it has just been me and him. I've seen him shirtless before but each time my focus had been elsewhere. On punching hard enough, running hard enough, on literally anything other than him.

My fingers traced over scars I didn't know he had. Slightly faded tattoos. A venomous snake that seemed to wrap around his shoulder, over his back and onto his chest. Another crossed over his ribs, a rose and stem but it wasn't intact. Another scar obviously since he had the art done. A date in roman numerals sat in a perfectly straight line on the other side of his chest. I wondered if he wanted more, if they meant anything to him or if it was just a way for him to personalize his skin.

I'd thought dozens of times about getting one myself but I could never decide. Maybe I will now. Alara had gotten one. Last year when I was away. I was furious she did it without me and she said I was too chicken to actually get one and she wanted one. A stack of her 4 favourite books surrounded in Anemone flowers because they are her favourite. It's the most quintessentially Alara thing to ever exist.

"That's not sleeping Rey." Leo whispered, not a single movement in the rest of his body as I jumped, not expecting him to be awake.

"Shh. You're asleep."

"You're not."

"You're eyes are closed you don't know that. I'm talking in my sleep." My fingertips traced the white scar on his ribcage. It wasn't perfectly straight, like the ones on my legs it was a little wonky. Another few scars were dotted across him. Arm, ribs and stomach. Small and dark, almost looking like freckles or moles but they definitely weren't.

"They're old." I was being so gentle touching them, not wanting to hurt him if they were tender. Lifting my head, he gave me a gentle smile. "They don't hurt anymore if you want to carry on you can."

"What about this one?" I traced the longer one that was like mine. "This isn't as settled as the others."

"Because it's newer."

"How new?" He sighed, turning more onto his side. I still had a few unanswered questions about how Leo got here. I knew he was supposed to be dead but how do you go from working for the Government, to working for a gang who haven't had someone outside of trusted people joining them in 8 years? The girls had said he had gone under the 'biggest trial' whatever the hell that meant. I trusted him, without a doubt. "Like the month before me new?"

"Freya-"

"Which one of them did it to you?" He blinked slowly. "James, Isaac, Milo or Dad?"

"Babe?"

"I know this trial you had to do can't have been a standard interview Leo. I'm not dumb. I know it was for good reason, to make sure you were trustworthy and not weak. Judging by where it is I'm guessing it wasn't just that he cut you, it was a part of something. I don't know a fight or whatever. I just want to know who it was."

"You really want to know?" I shuffled backwards slightly.

"Leo, I want to know all of your stories. Each of these scars and your tattoos and what you did for Christmas 15 years ago. My interest for you doesn't just stop when it no longer benefits me. I don't like talking to you because it gives me something to do, I like getting to know everything. So yes. I want to know." He shook his head slowly, barely a smile on his face but I could see it there. It grew very slightly, placing a quick hard kiss on my forehead. "Please?"

"Fine but only because it's impossible to say no to you when you're looking at me like that." He grumbled, sitting up and pulling me into his lap. My legs crossed around him and we sat back into the pillows against my headboard. "The gun shots are what I got out the army with, one of the reasons they assumed I'm dead I guess. Yes, the long one was James. I was unarmed, he had the knife, I misjudged my step and he caught me but it was fine, I still managed to get him down."

"You fought James?"

"I've fought all of your brothers Rey. Your Dad doesn't fuck around in making sure who he brings on is going to be useful. It wasn't just fighting and shooting and being able to kill someone, I had to do a few minor jobs for him without much help or tips, just where to go what he needed. That's all I got."

"No gun?" He shook his head.

"Me getting you out of the house was the last test. I was supposed to do 3 or 4 other jobs for him before I was supposed to be sitting in the camera room but when you were taken he said no one else had the training to get someone out of that so he changed his plan. I hacked into Zane's camera system and showed Milo how to control the doors and the locks on everything. Watched for 48 hours straight to see what the routines were and then planned it out. Getting you out of there without a scratch on you, 2 days after he'd set me on it, apparently I proved myself and he decided he didn't want anyone else watching you because if I keep you safe it'll make my other jobs a little easier."

"You have other jobs?" He nodded. "But I haven't seen you do anything else. You barely leave me unless I'm sat with the boys."

"No one knowing what else I do is kind of the point babe. It's nothing physical, just a little computer stuff for your Dad, counting money. The harmless side of everything."

"So, I'm not your only job?"

"I don't see you as part of the job Rey. This-" His hands spread across my back, gently running over my skin and covering me in goosebumps. "This isn't work. Work is when I'm with your Dad. This is my free time." I nodded slowly.

"Does he pay you enough?"

"Rey-"

"Just a question."

"Babe. Don't worry about it. Okay? I'm here, rent free, don't pay for food or gas in my car, not a single thing I need to do my job is out of my pocket. He pays for everything." He pulled me down kissing me lightly. "I get paid more than enough to spoil you."

"I don't need-"

"Freya-"

"I'm just-"

"You're just nothing." Leo, flipped us around, pressing me into the mattress. "Who's are you?"

"Yours."

"Mhm." He pulled his teeth over my collar bone, making my hips lift into him. "I get a cut of everything I help your dad with on top of what I get for just being here as an extra pair of eyes. Money is never something you need to worry about. Not with me." I swallowed, his lips moving a little further down my body. "Better?"

"Mhm." I nodded quickly, rolling my lips in between my teeth.

"My girl doesn't need to worry about a damn thing." Sea green eyes look up at me from my hips. "Tell me your worries Rey and I'll make you forget them before I make them disappear. Okay?" He's barely touched me and I can feel myself pooling for him, my breath shaking.

"Okay." I nodded.

"Good girl. Open your legs a little wider, I'm hungry."