Chapter 8

"Where from? Have we identified the source?" asked Simani.

"Not with enough precision to be able to initiate proceedings against the perpetrator. So far, we have only determined with any certainty that the leak originated from the SifCo facility, the lab where the bulk of the experimentation is being conducted. Apparently someone within their ranks, perhaps one of the junior researchers, had been flouting protocol and talking about the project to outsiders, and the news somehow reached some people in high places within the Zainian Government."

"Zainians? But what's the problem then?" asked Ruban, frowning. "Isn't Zaini our ally?"

"It is. Although they're none too pleased that we've been keeping secrets from them. But that is not the main problem. The Zainian intelligence agencies have gotten wind of an Aeriel plot to steal the reinforced sifblade formula. And they were kind enough to let us know before such a thing could actually come to pass."

"Steal it?" asked Simani, flabbergasted. "What could they possibly hope to do with the formula?"

"And how did they come to know about it anyway?" asked Ruban.

"Same way the Zainians did, I suppose," Subhas said, his tone darkening. "The rumours caused by the leak must have reached them too. And that damned Zainian nobleman isn't helping matters by babbling like an idiot to the press!"

"Zainian nobleman?" asked Ruban, surprised. Involuntarily, his eyes went to the window overlooking the vast grounds of the headquarters. "You mean that kid I saw downstairs chattering with Casia Washi and her coterie?"

"One and the same, yes. I'm told he's called Ashwin. Ashwin Kwan. Some distant relation of the House of Kwan, I suppose. I never can keep track of these elaborate Zainian family trees."

"What's he got to do with any of this?" asked Simani. Apparently, she too had noticed the exotic young man caught in some bizarre tug-of-war between the reporters.

Subhas pressed two fingers to his forehead, massaging gently. "Apparently, some fool in Zaini's Foreign Office thought it would be a good idea to entrust that idiot child with the job of informing us about the leak that their Intelligence Office had uncovered. I suppose those Royalist idiots thought it would be respectful to send an aristocrat, or some nonsense like that. You know Zainians! This is why I could never tolerate hereditary office. Too much faith in genetics, I always say.

"Anyway, long story short, Washi found him in some pub near the border before he ever made it to the capital, and now he's talking his guts out to them like there's no tomorrow. He's already appeared on some interviews with her, talking vaguely about secret experiments, nefarious Aeriel plots and whatnot. I'll bet a fortune Washi is using his pretty face to whet the audience's appetite for the real deal. I hear they're gonna air an exclusive interview with him tonight itself. An 'Emancipation Day Special', they're calling it," Subhas groaned, his fingers clenching into fists. "If this gets out in the media, everything we have worked for in the past two decades will have been for nothing! Not to mention the inevitable retaliatory terror strikes we'll have to deal with once the Aeriels get a confirmation of their suspicions from the press. Destruction and mayhem, Ruban, that's what we're looking at if that idiot aristocrat talks to Washi tonight. The theft of the formula will be the least of our problems then."

"What do you need us to do, sir?" asked Ruban, his jaw set and a look of determination in his eyes. His posture was reflected by his partner beside him.

Subhas smiled grimly. "Well, firstly, I would like to put you, Ruban, officially in charge of the investigation into the leak and how it happened. Also, you are to investigate if there is any truth to the Zainian intelligence reports of a possible theft of the formula. If you do find any proof of it, you are of course to do everything in your power to prevent it. And Simani," his eyes flicked over to the other Hunter, "You will, as usual, be Ruban's second-in-command on this mission. Should our suspicions be confirmed, you two will have at your disposal the full resources of the IAW and the country's Hunter Corps to prevent any threats to national security, and to protect the formula as well."

"But why us, sir?" asked Simani, leaning forward. "I mean I do appreciate the trust that the IAW is placing on us with this mission, but surely it would be easier to just let the police look into the leak? After all, it is a purely civilian affair. We will of course investigate the matter of the theft, if the Aeriels are indeed planning something that audacious."

"That's a good question my dear," said Subhas, nodding approvingly. "I would have assigned that particular matter to the police, under ordinary circumstances. However, as I said, Washi has already stirred quite the public interest in this affair with her cryptic little interviews with the Zainian. Nobody really knows the full extent of the problem yet, or even the exact nature of it, thankfully; but it appears the public has taken quite the liking to our foreign guest, and consequently to everything he has to say.

"Social media is abuzz with talk of nefarious Aeriel conspiracies to take over the country, or some such. And don't take this the wrong way, Ruban," he said, turning to his nephew with a placating smile. "I would have assigned this case to you with or without Washi's interference. But having you as the face of the investigation does help our cause quite a bit. It would certainly appease the public for the time being. Ever since your extraordinary exploits during the Parliament attacks became public knowledge, the nation has been pretty much in love with you. There's no one whose involvement with this case would make the public feel safer or better protected than yourself. The Prime Minister himself has requested me to put you in charge of the entire investigation. Of course, you can always call on the police for their help if you should require it. This investigation is top priority now."

"That's alright," said Ruban, too preoccupied with everything he had just learned to be able to spare much thought for his uncle's complicated political manoeuvrings. "Whatever you think is best, sir. But what'll we do about the Zainian? Surely, you don't plan on allowing him to appear for the interview tonight?"

"Ofcourse not. In fact, I sent Saya to have a chat with him right before you twocame in. They should be arriving any second now."