Chapter 10

Subhas sighed, and Ruban could sympathise with his uncle. He could tell that this wasn't going to be easy, and for perhaps the billionth time was grateful that he had the job that he did. This sort of thing was not his cup of tea.

"Well, for one thing, that formula is a state secret, and has been for a long time," Subhas began, but Ashwin's confused gaze told them all that this was not an approach that was going to work. Something more personal was required, more immediate. "And also, if you speak to the media about the formula and the Aeriels' plot to steal it, what do you think will happen?"

Ruban would not have thought it possible for the boy's eyes to get any wider, but they somehow managed to do just that. "What?" he asked apprehensively.

"Well, the Aeriels will try to kill you, of course. You shall be a marked man, my Lord. And of course, despite our best efforts to keep you safe, sooner or later they will succeed. You know how vindictive Aeriels can be!"

"Oh my God!" cried Ashwin, his voice shaky, and Ruban could practically see the wheels churning laboriously in his mind. "Why did I not think of that before? What am I to do now?!" he squeaked, terrified.

"Well, for starters, you need to stop making yourself more of a target by speaking to the press," advised Subhas, a subtle note of satisfaction in his voice as he leaned back into his chair. "And then you can help us stop the Aeriels by sharing with us everything you know about this plot."

"Yes yes, of course!" Ashwin straightened in his seat and pulled himself back under control with visible effort. "I'll tell Miss Casia I can't do the interview with her tonight. But before that, sir, I need your assurance that you will allow me to be a part of this investigation."

Surprised, Ruban turned to look at the young man. Of all the things he had expected Ashwin to say, this wasn't one, and he could see the latter visibly fighting not to let his fear overwhelm him. It was obvious that the boy's request had confused Simani too.

"But my Lord," began Subhas, sounding equally baffled. "We could provide you with an escort to take you back to Zaini–"

"No," Ashwin said, cutting the older man off. "I was sent here on a mission to help the Vandran authorities prevent the theft of the formula, and I plan to see it through. Besides, we can't just let these evil Aeriels wreak havoc anywhere they please! I want to help stop them in any way I can." He drew himself up to his full height, which really wasn't very much, and nodded.

Ruban couldn't help feeling a vague sense of respect for the young man. He was obviously trying very hard to act braver than he actually felt, but Ruban couldn't begrudge him the sentiment. At least he had the courage to try and stand up for himself and his rights, however ineffectually. That feeling of vague solidarity, however, vanished quickly when he fully registered what his uncle was saying in response to the Zainian's request.

"Well, my Lord, if that is how you truly feel, I suppose you could help our Hunters solve the case," Subhas was saying, gesturing at the two other people in the room. "This is Ruban," he said, indicating his nephew. "And this is Simani, his partner."

"Hello," Ashwin said, turning to smile brightly at the two of them, even as Ruban was busy glaring daggers at his uncle. Subhas ignored him in favour of gazing serenely at the clouds outside his window. "Let's hope we can solve this case before the Aeriels manage to kill any of us," the boy said with a rather watery smile, some of his initial apprehension bleeding through the facade, now that his wish had been granted.

"Oh, don't you worry about that, my Lord," said Subhas, still studiously avoiding his nephew's gaze. "Simani here is one of the best agents under my command. And Ruban is the best Aeriel Hunter in all of Vandram. He's killed more Aeriels in his short career than most Hunters have in their entire lives. You'll be perfectly safe with them. And you can tell your friends in the media too that they're on the case, so there's nothing to worry about anymore."

"Oh?"said Ashwin, turning to look at Ruban, dark eyes flashing momentarily silveragain, as they had earlier in the lawn. Ruban blinked, a little disoriented. "Isthat right?" the young nobleman murmured, smiling brilliantly once more.