Chapter 5

"What I'd like to know is where the mafia is getting all the reinforced sif for these brandings." Simani's fingers tightened around the mug of hot chocolate. "Not to mention, how the hell did they manage to lure those Aeriels into working for them and fighting against their own kind?"

"With money?" Vikram suggested. "I mean, Ruban said that the Aeriel Queen–"

"Tauheen?" Simani prompted.

"Yes, her. Ruban said she wanted to use the reinforced sifblade formula to gain dominion over earth and Vaan, right?"

"Something like that," Ruban muttered, stealing a glance at Ashwin. "She wasn't exactly sane."

"Or very coherent," Ashwin agreed. "But that seemed to be the general idea, yes."

"In that case, what's to say these Aeriels aren't simply using the feather mafia to get the money and resources that'd allow them to launch a large-scale offensive against humanity?" Vikram asked. "They could use the money for better weaponry, a stronger base of operations. And with the mafia on their side, they'd have access to more manpower than Tauheen ever did. The queen's vision, updated for the new age."

"Possible, but unlikely," Ashwin said, munching on a slice of shahi tukda. "As far as I've seen, none of the Aeriels working with the feather mafia are vankrai. Haven't heard of any vankrai joining up with the mafia, either. Most of the ones still alive are baying for the blood of Tauheen's killer. And feather-born Aeriels wouldn't do all that planning and strategizing. Not their forte."

Vikram nodded. "That's true. Feather-born Aeriels are impulsive and hedonistic. Usually avoidant, when it comes to problems. If there are no vankrai to direct them, feather-borns likely wouldn't be working towards any long-term goals."

Ruban raised an eyebrow. "Didn't know you were an expert on the vankrai, Vik."

"I'm not. It's common knowledge in academic circles." Vikram gave him a self-deprecating smile. "Not the kind of thing they teach at Hunter school, I gather."

"It isn't. Nothing useful seems to be."

"The more important question," Simani interjected, looking at Ashwin through narrowed eyes. "Is how does a Zainian aristocrat know so much about the vankrai?"

"Well, he was there when we ambushed Tauheen last year." Ruban's heart thundered against his ribcage as he spoke. "Probably overheard something. She talked an awful lot before she died."

"I can attest to that," Ashwin nodded solemnly. Ruban's fingers itched to punch him in that smug face.

"I'd give an arm and a leg to have been a fly on that wall." Vikram sighed dreamily. "Hearing the infamous Aeriel queen speak of her own history and origins, her goals and desires... Many of my colleagues would trade their first-born children for that."

Simani frowned. "And yet, you keep saying they have no goals."

"They do, although they're usually of the immediate and hedonistic variety. Though Tauheen was almost certainly a vankrai, according to the records. Most contemporary accounts suggest her firstborn, a daughter, was a vankrai as well. Although she did, at one point, have a feather-born child; gender unknown."

"You think this child of hers might be working with the mafia?" Simani leaned forward, her eyes alight with interest. "Keeping mommy's legacy alive and all that."

Ruban choked on his hot chocolate. Ashwin patted him soothingly on the back, his face impassive.

"Unlikely," Vikram said, chewing thoughtfully on jalebi crumbs. "Though of course, we don't have enough data on Aeriel psychology to say anything for certain. But from all the materials and research we currently have available, purebred Aeriels don't seem inclined to making and executing long-term plans. They're..."