Not My Problem

"Reign."

My past week had flown by, my mother's little impromptu vacation was coming to an end and I can almost fully say that I missed everything about here.

The almost stems from the nasally voice that pulled me out of my poolside daydreaming.

Although my immediate family time was most definitely wonderful, the downside of being home was that the rest of my family had complete and unrestricted access to me.

"Reign!"

Rolling my eyes behind my sunglasses, I flip them to the top of my head before I turned towards the direction of the voice that disrupted my otherwise peaceful dreaming.

Celia Ignacio, who is not blood family by the way, decided today of all days to disrupt my newly formed schedule.

"Can I help you?" My voice dripped with a bitterness that was specially reserved for her and her annoying offspring.

"Alyssa's having her eighteenth birthday tomorrow night and you'll be there." Her smile was as fake as that hairline the implants gave her.

I raised an eyebrow and turned back towards the pool.

The fact that she stated that I would be there meant that my mother had already unfortunately agreed.

Her shoes clicked against the cobblestone flooring as she walked away and I sighed with relief as her suffocating presence was removed from mine.

My flight back to New York was in roughly four hours and I planned to spend the next three lounging by the pool in the sun.

Said sun hit me just right and I welcomed the sleep that came with being wrapped in its warmth.

Unfortunately, I was back in my lovely penthouse finishing getting ready for the stupid party.

I was late but that was a deliberate effort on my part.

I fixed the strap of the plain black dress and grabbed the silver clutch I'd set aside earlier.

My hair was pulled away from my face and fell from a ponytail in loose curls.

Simple makeup and a sequin dress paired with designer heels almost made it look like I put effort into this.

Sighing once more about being away from an actual comfortable space with people I moderately like.

Max was waiting in the black Cadillac by the time I made my way out the building.

The leather of the seat was cold against by exposed back but it felt oddly comforting on the short drive.

The club was small yet active, and that made me despise being here even more.

There were bright lights and obnoxious music everywhere and somehow while scanning through the crowds, my eyes only fell on people I had no intentions of associating myself with.