56. The Punching Bag

Why does one hurt the one they love the most?

Nimrit unlatched the door and came to where their friends were eagerly waiting for them. Their smiles and expressions told her they were happy to see them spend time together. If only, she could tell them in clear words that they were falling apart rather than coming close.

Nimrit looked around the vast green garden of their school, which had people everywhere, but there was no person she could share her pain with.

"I am sorry, Nimrit." Nimrit turned around and saw Collin standing behind her. She drew her brows closer in a question because she didn't know why Collin said sorry to her.
"I heard Nivi and you talk inside the canteen room. I just wanted to have fun and tease you guys so I was hiding inside the room, but whatever Nivi said to you and how you dealt with it, made me realise that I have probably always misjudged you. I couldn't really understand what you were discussing, but what Nivi said was unacceptable. I think you could have said something in your defence."

Nimrit stood there quietly, looking at the farthest end she could see. "Sometimes, words cannot suffice what you feel. I didn't want to fight with him anymore. To think of it, it wasn't even a fight. We both are in a situation from which we cannot come out even if we want to. He will regret what he said because you and I both know what an adorably cute, impulsive jerk, he is."

Collin chuckled at Nimrit's words and asserted, "I hate to accept that my son has gone for good. I hand over his responsibilities to you."

Love had made Nimrit a pro at passing fake smiles and hiding true emotions. She gave Collin a notebook and requested him to keep it in Nivedya's bag secretly. Collin did as he was told without asking questions.

Nimrit was sad, broken, and hurt. She hated herself for not slapping Nivedya right across his face for the way he spoke to her. Surely he was troubled and bothered, but the way he treated her, made her feel like a punching bag, he could take out all his frustration on.

Collin tried to speak to Nivedya, but he warned him to not talk to him at the moment. He was tired, upset, and angry with whatever happened. He thought Nimrit would be a smart, intelligent, and sensible girl who would understand him and his circumstances, but she only made things difficult for him.

When he reached home, the first thing he did was that he asked his parents if, all was well. Nandini told Nivedya that Swarnima wouldn't be able to take his tuition because she abstained from keeping any kind of conversation with the outside world for security reasons.

Nivedya knew his science was better than before, but he still needed help. His thoughts travelled to Nimrit who was thorough with the concepts, but he knew that option was also ruled out.

Lovers have an odd connection. There is a telepathic network that only works in their domain, and Nivedya and Nimrit were no exception to the rule.

Nivedya found a notebook with formulae, flow charts, and definitions that were simplified for him. He knew only Nimrit could prepare such comprehensive notes for him but what caught his attention was the excessive use of the correction pen. Nimrit was known for her neat and error-free work. She rarely used a whitener/correction pen.

Upon close observation, Nivedya found the reason for the random whiteness in the notebook. She had replaced the full stops with hearts and when he moved his pen along the lines of the thick white ink of the whitener, the words that formed were probably, "I You, you".

"URGH!" Nivedya shouted in frustration and threw the notebook on the bed. He felt helpless and incapacitated to reciprocate the shower of love Nimrit sprinkled on him.