Chapter 43 - Trauma

After we sent everyone on their way, and loaded everyone onto the right cruisers, we were overbooked. Medics were working overtime and they'd needed to extend the Medbay to private quarters, too. As I mentioned before, I'm qualified for treatment on the field, too so I offered my aid. It was all hands on deck and the pained cries of the poor would in the Medbay reminded me how lucky I was to have come out of the battle unscathed.

Not everyone had been as lucky as me. Save for a few bruises and scrapes, I was fine. Even Anakin had bumped his head on his straighter when a bolt came too near his ship, rattling him out of his stability. 

Devin had needed to drag him down to Darren, our medic, to get him cleared for a concussion. Anakin's fine, though. We gave him an ice pack - although it wasn't much use - but he didn't seem to be in much pain, nor could we see much damage, either. 

Darren insisted that it had cut the skin and that he had some matted blood in his hair, but any injury had limited itself to his scalp. Either way, Darren wasn't hesitant to clear him, leaving him free to conduct duties in the hangar and from the bridge.

It had been over 5 hours since the battle had ended and we set off with everyone in the right place. My deepest paranoia kept suggesting that every rattle was an engine fault, or the ship was experiencing more turbulence than necessarily safe, but I placed my trust in Anakin's technical skills whole heartedly. By the time I got to the bridge to check if anyone had needed to take over my private quarters for the night, or if it was still free, I was thoroughly drained.

"General! How can I help?" Devin asked, looking weary. The top button of his tunic was open, his hair was in disarray and his eyes sagged with exhaustion. He was leaning against a control panel, and he held in his hands a cup of caf someone had undoubtedly forced him to take. Devin is just as much a workaholic as I am.

"I'm retiring for the night. Is anyone in GQ, or is the room free for me?" I asked him. "Let me check." He sighed, sloppily clicking at the console beneath him. If I wasn't this tired, I would have been surprised, because I know how much Devin fights for me; he'd never let it out to anyone unless it was a last option. He has a soft spot for me, and it's unfair of him to still baby me... but it is what it is. "It's free, (y/n). I wouldn't relay anyone to GQ unless it was the only room available. Good night, (y/n), sleep well. You've earned it." 

His demeanour was somewhat callous - this battle had really done a number on us. I feel awful for him, "Only if you rest, too." I said softly. "You look awful. I owe it to Mrs Amherst to take care of you, too."

Unlike me, he has many family commitments. A wife, and 2 children who'll need him now in thelife more than ever. I have to have Devin's back, too.

"There's work to be done. I'll go in a while." Devin bit back frustratedly, haphazardly running a hand through his hair.

"It can wait." I urged. "The bridge is on rotation. You can't work well unless your mind is well. It's okay, Devin. If anyone complains, you know I will back you. Please? Do it for me?"

"Okay. You're right, I'm about to drop to the floor." He huffed tiredly. "See you in the morning."

Just as we were leaving, Anakin walked through the doors to the bridge, looking just as weary as Devin, if not more. He looked like he hadn't had a moment to fix his robes since before he got into his fighter en route to Bespin and had been running up and down the length of the whole cruiser since we'd split up.

"Come for a room too, General Skywalker? It's okay, I'll go find one for you too." Devin said instantly, without second thoughts.

"No, you were leaving. Please, Admiral, don't let me keep you. We'll figure something out. And General (y/l/n)." He begged Devin, nodding to me.