Chapter 5

The next three weeks went down kinda uneventfully. I had some minor missions where I could practice and get better at my job. I felt more and more confident on the field, it doesn't matter the mission.

I met new agents and also enjoyed working with them. Given my personality I was good at adjusting to people and get used to their habits and how they do this job or how to handle situations.

It didn't feel like home yet, I don't know if it ever will, but I felt more or less content with my life at the moment.

I started to get closer and closer to Wendy, I found a good friend in her. She was the type of person who was always down to drink and dance till the sunrise, so we went partying fairly often. Sometimes just the two of us, sometimes she'd bring other people too.

We always have a good time, luckily we have a similar music taste too. We mostly talked about work but she shared a bit of her personal life to me too. I think she could guess I didn't like to talk about mine so she never pushed me fortunately.

I spent my fair time at the gym, sometimes just out of boredom, but often when I was stressed I found myself spending several hours there until I couldn't move a limb anymore.

Whoops, I went too hard I guess.

I also tried to perfect my aim and knife usage. The first lesson in this field is that you can never practice enough. I sometimes met other agents there who I already knew so we could train together, it was always more fun this way.

Just when I would have gotten bored from the grey and uneventful weekdays, something happened today that made my pupils dilate.

I got an email this morning that there'll be an emergency meeting in the grand presentation hall. There wasn't any detail given as to what would we discuss, but I got that familiar chill run through me from the adrenaline.

While I did some office work, I caught myself dazing off and thinking about what would be that important that a big percentage of the agents were called to talk about it. I was indescribably thankful that I got involved given I'm still pretty new, I was happy that it seemed they trusted me.

I was eager to leave my desk and with Wendy on my side we went to that hall where I've never stepped a foot in yet.

"Eager for some dangerous mission, huh?" Wendy asked me with a smirk, she could read me easily.

"Come on, I didn't get any exciting stuff in a while, don't blame the adrenaline addict for being tempted." I rolled my eyes playfully.

"Just be careful, you don't have nine lives, you know." Some seriousness seeped in her tone.

"Thank god I don't. What would be the thrill in it if I got another life in case I messed up this one?"

She just shook her head at how reckless I was.

"Well, I hope I can catch you in some next life or something and kick your ass that you didn't listen to me."

We kept bickering playfully until we arrived and my jaw almost dislocated from how many people attended this meeting.

I looked around slowly and took in the fact that there's at least a hundred agents scattered around and new ones arrived every other second. One table wouldn't fit everyone, so instead there were around 5 or 6 placed in the big space, and there was one small stage placed at the end where Adams was waiting for all of us to arrive.