Star Constellations

The chilly January winds swept over the antique buildings, the weather turning warmer as winter merged into spring. April showers rained hard and heavy onto students scurrying indoors from PE. And lessons were becoming tougher, stricter for the exams that would be approaching in the following months.

"Chris, if you play your video games all day today, you are never going to get to sleep. You never do get a good night's sleep when you do that and I tell you this every time. Have you even started revision?"

I roll my eyes. "Calum, I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks. So me playing 'Mario and Sonic' is not going to make any inkling of a difference." Let's not even touch on the subject of exams.

I hear the boy behind me sigh deeply. He leans forward and presses the buttons on the controller, pausing the game. His hands grab the back of Pj's computer chair I was sitting on and he spins me round to face him. The light from the bedroom window comes streaming into my eyes and I squint them shut. "So, how much sleep have you had?"

"Eight hours." I respond. I see Calum's body relax a little, the worry slide from the creases on his forehead. "In the last three days." His brow furrows. And his arms fold tightly in front of his chest.

"Okay," he mumbles. "No more video games."

"But-"

"Nope. None of them. We're gunna tire you out today. Come on!" Calum grabs my hand, yanking me up from my chair. "But firstly," he continues, "you have school." He chucks my shirt and trousers towards me and begins rummaging through my drawers.

Hastily, I shove my legs through the fabric and fumble with the buttons at the top. I do the same with the shirt, pushing the buttons through the holes and tucking in the left over material.

As I turn to the mirror Calum moves to stand pressed against my back. Slowly, he reaches forward and rakes his finger through my hair, styling it carefully and precisely, always checking my reflection in the mirror. We stand for a minute. Silent. Unmoving. Enjoying one another's company.

I break the calm.

Lurching to the side I grab my tie and sling it around my neck, flicking my collar up. I run the fabric through my fingers and begin to tie it in a knot. As I pull it tight I turn round to face the tanned boy in my room. As I move his face cracks into a grin. His face filled with hilarity. I don't understand, what is there to laugh at? Struggling to keep any words from tumbling from my lips I look down at my tie and sigh. It's already unravelled. Calum is straight on to it, coming close to me and softly folding my tie into a perfect knot. "How is it we always end up in this situation?" he whispers.

"Shut up!" I retaliate, craning my neck upwards to glare into the boy's chocolate button eyes.

"Oooh, feisty!"

"Suck my ass, Calum Clifford!"

"Gladly." He winks.

I stand there, open mouthed, trying to gather my thoughts. In my moment's hesitation he has made his way to the door! "Calum!" I say, stifling a laugh and the way he dramatically swings his hips with each step.

"Calum!" But the door is closed. "I'm supposed to be the gay one!"

***

"Okay, so you do realise that no matter how hard you try that I doubt I'm going to fall asleep tonight?"

"Stop being so defeatist, Chris! Oh, hey, look! There's Pj!" Calum shoves his hand high into the air balancing on one foot to wave to Pj across the lunch room. He was with Jonah, Lincoln and Oakley. Once he saw Calum's hand he turned, making his way towards us.But his friends followed.