I'm Not Cute

IMPORTANT FOR YOUR OWN BENEFIT: There is a scene in this chapter about a boy called Roman. It covers subjects that some readers might not be comfortable with (alcohol abuse, family deaths and the tiniest reference to an eating disorder.) For these reasons I have written that section in italics so readers can skip this if they wish. Although not key to the storyline I decided to keep this section if the chapter in since the world is not all sweetness and light. Thank you for reading this and if anyone has anything they wish to talk about please don't hesitate to message me.

I trudge slowly back down the stairs and head to the side of the school which lessons are held. The hallways are noisy with screaming students hustling this way and that. Turning round the final corner I walk into the art department, twist the cold brass of the door handle and push my legs through into the room. The legs of my stool screech along the floor as I drag it out from underneath the table and take my place on top of it. Sighing slightly I pull my pencils out of the top pocket on my shirts and my sketch pad from my bag. Dropping it onto the table, I flip open the pages and carry on my sketch of Peter Pan that I had begun a couple of days before arriving.

"No way! You hooked up with Suzy!? The slut from the Girls Academy? I never thought you could get that low, I mean sure girls from normal schools with both genders are fine but an all-girls school? You never know what type of bitch she's gunna turn out be."

"Shut up, Oakley. At least I can hook up with girls. When was the last time you even spoke to one?"

"Whatever, I'm just tryna look out for ya, man. You know I don't want you knocking her up or nothing."

Jonah and his posse. Obviously. Keeping my head down I try to carry on sketching until I hear the unfamiliar sound of the stool being pulled along the floor next to me.

"Hey," Pj says, dumping his stuff on the table next to me.

"Shouldn't you be with Jonah and Co.?" I ask sceptically.

"I'm fine thank you, Christopher. How are you!?" Pj replies, sarcasm pouring through his words.

After he realises he isn't getting a response Pj chuckles and pulls my sketch pad away to get a better look at my cartoon. After a while he mumbles, "needs more definition on the eyes... and besides, am I not allowed to sit with other friends once in a while?" I don't reply to his comment and keep my eyes firmly fixed on my hands slowing twisting together in my lap. He might think I'm grumpy but in all honesty if I speak right now, I'm so nervous my guts might launch themselves from my throat.

Clearly the events of this morning have vanished from his brain as he states, "here you go," and pushes my book back along the smooth surface of the desk. I smile slightly, tilting just the corners of my mouth, to show my thanks and again avert my eyes to the delicate scratches made by the pencil from Pj's quick glance over my drawing.

Two awkward and uncomfortable minutes later - for me anyway - Mr Balding arrives. "Shhh, shhh." He begins, silencing any mutters that are still emanating from the students in his midst. "So, today were going to be working on our pages in our books for our final exam-"

"Hey!" Pj's hushed voice slides through the air towards me. "The Theropians, they've missed you, yanno?"

"It's been like one day, Pj" I reply coolly, lifting my eyes to the ceiling. Don't ask me as to why I'm being unsociable and hostile to him because apart from the risk of vomit, I have no idea. Yeah, Pj's cute as hell and always seems to be looking out for me but what was with the sudden hand holding at breakfast? Maybe I do like him. Just a little bit. And when I say just a little bit I mean the-world-stops-spinning-and-your-brain-malfunctions-with-cute-little-tingles-all-over-your-body-and-not-just-butterflies-but-fricken-elephants-in-your-stomach type of 'just a little bit'.