Science

Swivelling round in my seat, I place my pencil on the table, forget about my maths work and carry on my hurried conversation with Calum. "And then we danced around the park, surrounded by fairy lights and it was the best night ever! But I didn't get the D. Oh well, my mamma said I've gotta keep my legs closed until I know it's exactly right." I nodded.

"You should keep your legs closed forever. No one would ever want you, Kendall." Both mine and Calum's head snap up to see Eric Jones swinging back and smirking lazily towards to two of us.

"At least I'm not a man-whore who has a different girl every night." I reply, narrowing my eyes at the dark skinned boy.

"Suck it, looser." He responds as the bell rings signalling the end of the lesson.

"I would, but I can't put small things in my mouth; I might choke." I sass, swiftly gabbing my bag and pulling Calum out of the room with me.

"Jeez, what got his knickers in a twist," Calum questions before placing his bag down next to me in English Lit.

"Calum, It's time I taught you some basics," I begin, Calum rolling his eyes knowing where I was going with this. "Said person - Eric Jones - is in fact a male. And not to be confused with the predecessors of our race- the apes." At this a small chuckled escapes the slightly older boy's mouth. "He being male means that he will wear pants. Not knickers, or panties, or any other type of female underwear. Blimey, what did your mother teach you when you were younger?" By this point Calum was roaring with laughter and trying, and very much failing, to keep it in. "I don't know what you are laughing at Calum Clifford, if you don't know all this basic male and female stuff you are going to get STDs." Smiling slightly I sit myself down next to him, drawing absentmindedly on his work book so it at least looks like I was taking notes. Who needs English Literature anyway?

"So, what are we going as the Halloween party?" Calum asks as the teacher set us on our task for the lesson.

"Umm, about that," I begin.

"You're going with Pj, aren't you?"

"Maybe?"

"Chris," Calum groans. "Now who am I going to go with?"

"One of the girls, I mean they only stay at the school for a month or so, you better make the most of it."

"Whatever, I'll just go alone and meet you there." I sigh, and look up at Calum giving him puppy dog eyes in an attempt to subconsciously tell him I was sorry. "I accept your apology, but only 'cause you gave me cutie eyes." He says glancing down at me and tapping my cheek. "So, what are you guys going as then? Surely something amazing because Mr. Liguori can do no wrong."

"I'm not a fan of your sarcasm," I tut, crossing my arms stubbornly across my shoulders.

"I'm sorry. Just tell me what it is! I can't wait all the way until tonight."

"Yes you can. And you will."

*

After placing my tray down on the table at lunch, I sit down and take a bite into the cheese toasty I took from the lunch lady. "Have you seen Pj anywhere today?"

"Now I come to think of it, I actually haven't." Calum speculates whilst glancing round the room. "Maybe he's just skipping again, I mean, it wouldn't be unheard of would it?"

"I guess not but I haven't spoken to him since our date and what if he hates me now? What if he's talking to one of those horrific girls? Ugh, it better not be Isla! No one likes that tomato slapper anyway." After finishing my food, I reach over and pull Calum's strawberry milk from his tray and begin to drink it myself.

"Hey," he grumbles. "You had your own but you already drank it. I haven't even taken a sip of mine!"

"But its pink milk, Calum. It's my favourite! Pleaseeeee" I pout.

"Ugh whatever. But I get to do the practical stuff in science next lesson, and you have to fill in the table this time."

I lean my head back and groan in frustration at the brown eyes boy sitting opposite me. "You infuriate me."

"Good," he replies, taking both mine and his tray back to the lunch lady, who thanks him kindly, and returns back to me.

*

As we pull out or science books and begin writing the date I resume my conversation with Calum from earlier, in hushed whispers at the back of the room. "So what do you think you will go as to the party? I mean Pj and I have homemade costumes. I'm supposed to be Buzz Light-year and he's going to be Woody! Aren't we going to look perfect, I mean even his perfect curls will totally fit in with his outfit and he owns quite a lot of checked shirts-"

"Mr Kendall, if you're quite finished it would be appreciated for you to actually get the worksheet completed, thank you very much." I look down at my own completed work sheet. Physics was one of my favourite subjects. I was always good at it. Calum sniggers at my disgruntled face.

"You too, Mr Clifford."

The only problem with Calum is that he can never bite his tongue, and always ends up in trouble even worse than he would have been than if he didn't say anything in the first place. This time it went something along the lines of:

Calum: But I wasn't even doing anything, Miss

Mrs R: Well, why were you not working then? Maybe you should be getting on with the questions instead of kanoodling with Mr Kendall.

Calum: I wasn't doing anything with Chris! I was trying to tell him to do his work.

Mrs R: That is not true, Mr Clifford. You and I both know that.

Calum: This school is stupid.

Mrs R: So apart from half and hours detention for talking while I was, half an hours detention for answering me back and half an hours detention for being dishonest (Calum scoffs) and disrespectful (Calum looks like he was going to explode) would you like another for being disruptive?

Calum: No, Miss. (I got kicked in the shin for dragging him unintentionally into all this trouble).

*

"Do I look good enough!?" I ask whilst straightening my handmade astronaut helmet. "Would you be able to tell that I'm Buzz?"

Calum, who had only just gotten back from his detention in science half an hour ago, looks up from his own costume. He is dressed as Beetlejuice and it is the best outfit I have ever seen. "Yeah, you look amazing, Chris!" He smiles whilst adding the last bit of make up to his face. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah, ready." I reply and we walk out of Calum's room and towards the dance.