Halloween Party

Before I push open the doors to the hall where the school party was being held, Calum stops, pulling me back towards him by the bottom neck of my Buzz helmet before spinning round to face him. "Ugh, no man-handling, Calum. If you're not tryna touch me up, don't touch me at all."

"Jeez, where did you keep all this hidden?" Calum murmurs in an exasperation.

"Well I have this little box, covered in my doodles and drawings and-"

"Shush," he says before slapping his hand over my mouth. Sticking out my tongue, I lick a long line down his fingers resulting in him pulling back his hand immediately.

"Why are standing out here, Cal?"

"Because I'm waiting for Martha. She said she's meeting me here."

"Martha!? I thought you had a girlfriend Calum, What about Clara?"

Before I can say anything more, a brown girl with long mousey hair flips her head round the corner of the door. "Hey Cal!" she chimes her brown eyes glistening when she looks at the older boy, even though he looks terrifying in his costume. "Oh, hi Chris," She adds as an afterthought.

"Hello, um- errr, and you are." I reply, shaking my head as if I didn't know she was. She always comes here, every year since she started the girls school in year seven. And she always goes to the dance, every year. And every year she always ends up getting in some love-sick puppies pants. Charming really isn't it?

"It's Martha," She smiles, apparently not fazed by my complete and utter rudeness. Only then do I look down at her outfit. Well, she'll stop traffic! Mini skirt and a black top with a cardigan, cutesy stockings with boots, hair in plaits; she's trying to be Wednesday Addams. Trying, but failing. No one would touch that thing with a barge pole. When I glance back up Calum grabs her smoothly by the waist and they make their way into the crowed room. Sighing to myself I shift my feet around on floor, the soles making a squeak against the wooden boarding. Pj said he would be here.

As I stand there, listening to song after song play through, the seconds run into minutes and my legs begin to tire. I lean up against the wall. The door of the hall swings open and out staggers Jonah, Lincoln, Oakley, and last but not least Pj.

"Oh, hey Christopher," he slurs. "You know, they've got great booze in there. Everything you can imagine. What are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be grinding yourself up against some pretty chick? Oh. Wait. Never mind. The snickering behind him makes him know that he has impressed his friends, that he has succeeded in making them think he has humiliated me. But things like that don't hurt me. I don't wanna grind against some weird girl I don't even know. I don't wanna grind against any girl. "Go in there and fetch me a beer," He demands.

"Get you a beer?" I mumble. "Get you a beer!?" I say again this time raising my voice a little more. "Do I look like Mary Poppins!? Supercalifragilisticexpiali-fuck off." Turning on my heel I head into the dance, with the heavy bass pounding through my head and vibrating throughout my helmet. Searching through the crowd I try to spot Calum. The amounts of fluffy bunny ears make it extremely difficult to see more than two feet in front of you.

After five minutes of searching I find him chest to chest with Martha in the corner of the room a tangle of clothes and arms, lips touching each other in places that should not be touched in public areas. Scoffing, I turn myself back around and plant myself deeply into the cold plastic chair against the side of the room.

"Is this seat empty?" I hear a voice say from above me. Reaching upwards I feel the crumpled tinfoil of my helmet and pull it from my head.

"Yeah, but this one will be too if you sit down," I respond, without looking at the person behind the voice. They sit down anyway and from the corner of my eye I see a pair of blue jeans to the persons ankle followed by brightly coloured socks and smart shoes. "What are you supposed to be? One of the hairy bikers?" I say harshly.