Pop Tarts and Kitchen Blenders

**Chris' POV**

The loud chatter of the dining room fills my ears as I push myself sleepily through the double doors. Pop Tarts today. I exhale; I must be the only person in the world who does not actually like them. Raising my eyes to the roof I grab some chocolate ones and drop them on a plate, too tired to bother shoving bread in the medieval toaster perched a couple of meters along the side. My eyes scanning the room I sit myself- as per usual- in the far corner of the hall, out of other people's and harm's way. For a lingering second my eyes hover over Pj and his burly group of friends. They were all laughing and joking last night, sitting on the cushiony chairs in the middle of the common room. They seemed so care-free and happy.

I've only had a couple of friends through my life. I always believed that having few friends who cherish you is far better than loads who couldn't even tell you your eye colour. My friends were some of the best you could imagine. But two in particular would never fail to lift my spirits if I was down. They were called Dan and Phil. Two of the most genuinely funniest guys I know. They knew me, understood me. I could tell them anything. They were a couple, too. And the cutest one you would see anywhere. There was no showing off about it, no snogging each other's faces off, they were chilled and relaxed about it all.

It was them who I first told about me being gay. And they knew perfectly what to say. Helped me think about how to tell my mother and when I wanted to tell people at school. They don't go to St Greene's anymore. Dan got into trouble in our second year here. He walked into the kitchens with Robbie Melling's art work. He had been being rude to Phil about his sexuality earlier that lesson. Phil had ended up in tears, which obviously Dan wasn't too happy about. So he simple strode into the kitchens turned on the blender and dropped it in. It was exam work, too.

He spent the rest of the day in the Headmaster's. Then at around 7 o'clock his parents turned up to get him. But this is Daniel Howell we're talking about here. He wouldn't leave without doing something to remember. He'd always had a knack for art, he had. So before he left he climbed the tallest part of the stair banister and began to spray paint on the walls. A huge mural of him kissing a floppy fringed, dark hairs teen. He didn't say anything, but I think Phil secretly loved it. His cheeks had been painted scarlet and a massive grin plastered upon his face. Finally, they managed to drag him down with much screaming and threats of calling the police. And that night he left, and Phil went with him too.

You see, Phil lives with Dan. And Dan's parents have all legal rights over him. Phil's parents, let's say, weren't the nicest of people, so when he turned up with a tear stained face and as many clothes and he could gather at the Howell's door, they took him in and he never left.

They go to another school, somewhere closer to their home in London. They don't live too far from my house, actually and we do meet up together sometimes. I wish they were still here. Life would be so much easier.

Popping the last bite of the Pop Tarts in my mouth, I brush the crumbs off my hands and glance around the room once again. A hand slides down on the dark surface of the table, a body following swiftly behind, settling itself on the seat in front of me. "Hey," Pj's whispered voice says. I flick my eyes up and study his face for a fraction of a second, brush off the statement and stare blankly down at my hands as if there was something interesting with the swirling pattern on my finger pads. "C'mon Chris, why are you ignoring me?" The truth is, I don't really know. Why am I ignoring him? I hear, the breath leave his body in rush. "Well, you look good today," he comments, reaching out a hand and tugging slightly on my collar. Shock slams through my body and I jolt at the near contact. What is happening Chris!? He's touched you before. He was the one who cleaned you up after the incident with Jonah on the stairs. There is nothing different. Except there is something different. Every time I look at him, my heart thumps so loudly in my chest I am sure he must be able to hear its pounding on my ribcage.

"So," he begins again. "We have science last and I'm not doing anything after. Are you?" Wait, is he flirting!? His long, soft fingers pick up one of mine and fiddle about with it. Bending it, stretching it. All the time his eyes flicker from me to my hand and back again. Only stopped by some big long blinks along the way. Yup, he's definitely flirting. As quick as he took it, I pull my hand back again and shove it in my lap. Oh my oh my oh my.

As much as I do like Pj, I don't think I want to go out with him! Well, maybe I do but he has such a reputation. I'd be one of his little 'girls'. He'd want me for a week then throw me away once he was bored and wanted something different. Pj Liguori DOESN'T date. "I-" he started again, but before another syllable can roll from his well experienced mouth I swiftly leap from the bench beneath me. My hand grabs onto the cold pottery of the plate and I take it effortlessly to the counter, sliding it among the mounds of other dirty spoons bowls and cutlery.

Sprinting up the stairs, I slam open the heavy-set door to our room and plunge my arm into the dust underneath my bed. I reach for my bag and as soon and the thick material touched my fingers I pull it out, open it and rummage through the many items inside. After a couple of seconds rummaging my fingers connect with the smooth, chilly surface of my phone. Impatiently, I wait for it to turn on then begin to type.

To: Danyull
Hey, are you and Phil in school yet? X

I get a reply instantly. Obviously not.

From: Danyull
Lol, no. Who do you think we are? Braniacs? I'm forcing him to bunk. Taking him to see Frozen later. How are you anyway?? xx

To: Danyull
Alright I suppose. I just need your help on something. And aww that sounds so cute. Just remember to use protection :3 x

From: Danyull
Ewww, Chris! Stop being so gross. And we will. ;P But, what is it you need help with? xx

To: Danyull
You remember Pj Liguori, right?

From: Danyull
Really tall, green eyes, player?

To: Danyull
That's the one. Well I kinda like him. And just now at breakfast he kinda came over and started flirting. But I don't wanna be one of his make-out buddies. I don't even know if I wanna go out with him! What do I do!? I know he's gunna keep it up because he had that determined look in his eyes. You know the one he always got in rugby when he really wanted to win? xx

From: Danyull
Yup, I know the look. And if you don't wanna go put with him then you don't have to. Just tell him. If he really does truly like you then then he'll understand. Or pester you more about it. One of the two. x

To: Danyull
Thanks, Dan. You're always there for me. And hey, wanna meet up in the half term? I get to go home!! X

From: Danyull
Yeah, sure! That sounds great, Chrissie. Me and Phillip are free all week that week, I think.

To: Danyull
It's a deal, then! And anyway, I gotta go. Plus I kinda bunked off yesterday so I have to go... See ya x

From: Danyull
Naughty boy! And have fun. Think about me and Phil. Sitting in the cinema. Not at school. Enjoying ourselves. While you slave away doing algebra! Hehe xxx

To: Danyull
Shut up

From: Danyull
You know you love it! :P

I chuckle then slip my phone into my pocket. I guess I'm just gunna have to face whatever happens between me and Pj. But one thing is for definite I will NOT let him treat me like he treats all these girls on the weekend just to get his kicks.