t.hirtyfive

niko fidgeted with her fingers as she waited

niko fidgeted with her fingers as she waited. she'd mentioned to yuta that it was a nice day to watch the city from the rooftop, but she wasn't sure if he'd see it as an invitation to join her or not.

chiyo's words wouldn't leave her alone. niko knew there was something between yuta and her, but she always thought it was admiration or perhaps even mutual respect. now that the thought of love was in her head, it wouldn't get out. not until she saw him in person.

there was a creaking sound behind her as the slightly rusted meta door was pushed open, and she didn't have to turn around to know who it was.

"hey, nik." his voice sent a shiver down her spine, surprising the teal-haired girl. she couldn't meet his eye as he approached and settled beside her, his arms hanging lazily over the railing.

when she realized she never replied, niko scrambled out a quick, "hi."

yuta chuckled at that, and niko blushed. she kept her gaze trained on the city outstretched before them, watching the ant-sized people live their ant-sized lives.

she wasn't an idiot. niko knew she was attracted to yuta, but she'd found lots of people attractive. there was a big difference between liking someone and finding them attractive. liking someone, growing feelings for them, was dangerous.

"are you okay?"

niko blinked out of her daze and looked up to meet the other's eyes. "hm? yeah, everything's fine... why?"

she watched in amusement as the faintest shade of pink crept up yuta's neck. "no, i was just wondering. you looked a little lost for a sec there," he shrugged. "i haven't seen you up here since you quit."

"you know," niko began, holding the railing as she leaned back and tipped her face toward the sky. "when i asked you how eunbin seemed, i didn't expect you to buy her coffee," she was only teasing, her voice light, but yuta let his reddening face fall into his hands. "not my best moment."

she laughed, enjoying this softer side of him. it was fun, just talking like this.

the man raised his head, and niko's heart swelled in her chest. her stomach was suddenly in uncomfortable knots that made her feel nauseous, but the only thing she could focus on was how pretty yuta looked in this lighting. how his long bangs parted over his forehead as they caught the wind. how tranquil he looked up here, alone with her.

she realized she hadn't felt this way since high school. jolting upright, niko pressed a hand to her chest and took a breath.

"you okay?" yuta asked when he noticed the sudden change in her. his fingers found hers, and niko pulled away quickly when she felt the warmth of his touch. it spread up her arm like flames, numbing her skin and scalding her insides.

she swallowed hard and nodded her head with a shakily uneven and very forced smile. "yeah. yes, i'm..." butterflies, she remembered in sinking defeat. "i'm going inside. forgot i was going to have dinner with chi."

"oh, okay..." yuta said with a smile. there was hesitancy in his voice that made it hard for niko to turn toward the door, but she did.

she didn't get as far as she hoped because yuta's voice was suddenly in her ears, and a soft breeze moved through her hair. "niko!"

niko's chin moved to her shoulder, eyes falling on the boy behind her. she swallowed, unsure if she wanted to reply or not. before she had the chance to make up her mind, yuta beat her to it.

"i'm glad you invited me up here. that i got to see you again."

her stomach flipped. she felt nauseous. "yeah, you too."

yuta's words left his lips in a hurry. "i've missed seeing you."

niko sucked her lips. she didn't know how to respond, and her heart was beating unnaturally fast behind her ribs. "i..." unable to form any other letters, the girl let her head fall and hurried toward the door, letting it slam behind her as she rushed down the steps and toward the exit.

nikofuck

niko
fuck.

•sorry for the shorter ch!

sorry for the shorter ch!