f.ortyone

niko placed a covered mug of coffee on the table in front of yuta, drawing his attention quick

niko placed a covered mug of coffee on the table in front of yuta, drawing his attention quick. she chewed on her inner cheek when their eyes met. "can we talk?"

"of course," he replied, taking the mug between his hands and nodding toward the open seat across from him. niko hesitated only a moment before taking a seat and looping her fingers together in a nervous fit.

she took a breath before speaking, eyes trained on her knotted fingers. "i'm sorry for the way i acted that night, and the way i acted when we texted about it, but i think we need to talk."

yuta's brows knit together. "about what?"

"us?" niko forced out after swallowing her nerves. she could feel her heartbeat pulsing in her throat and in the pads of her fingers. she fought back the urge to feel nauseous.

"i'm... not good at understanding my feelings." she began, her eyes slowly reaching yuta's as she continued speaking. "i don't know how to do relationships. the last one i was in was a mess and ended with me getting hurt, but i want you to know that i like you."

the second the words left her lips, niko wanted to jump up and run. she couldn't face him, though she knew he likely felt the same. for some reason, that made it scarier for her than the alternative.

when a chuckle sounded from the boy across from her, niko's gaze snapped up toward his. his smile was so wide that niko felt it crack something inside of her.

"you like me?" he repeated, as if needing to hear it in his own voice for it to register in his mind.

still, niko found herself nodding. "i like you. i like you so much that i don't know what to do with myself. i like you even though i hate you for making me like you. and... part of me hopes you don't like me too, because as much as i like you, i'm scared of you."

he looked confused then. maybe even a little sad.

swallowing hard, niko forced herself to explain. "i mean, that's not what i mean." she pushed her head into her hands and huffed. "i'm still a mess. sometimes it feels like i'll never not be a mess, and sometimes i like being a mess, because it's familiar. you make me feel... clear."

when yuta didn't make a move or speak, niko felt herself giving up. muttering a quick apology, she rose to her feet and moved to step past him. his gently grip on her hand stopped her.

meeting his eyes again, niko wanted to cry. his face was so soft and genuine, so full of emotion that the girl nearly fell to her knees right then and there. instead, he stood as well, hand still grasping hers, and led her to the rooftop.

dazed, niko hadn't even realized they'd reached the top until his grip on her hand loosened. yuta stood in front of her, facing her and searched her. his touch returned, but softly as he grazed her fingertips with his own.

"you're allowed to be scared. you're allowed to be a mess, and you're allowed to fear change. your trust has been taken advantage of more than anyone's should." niko felt her eyes grow misty with his words.