Eagle of Knights Chp12

*They asked, "Do you love her to death?" I said, "Speak of her over my grave and watch how she brings me back to life." Mahmoud Darwish*

Badr lowered to the spot next to Shouq, his fingers disappearing in the wild grass around him, the aftermath of heavy winter rain. He wanted to make sure Shouq was fine. No, he yearned to know Shouq was well and that his little ploy did not cause her any harm. Badr could not grieve her more than the pearl of Borkan already endured.

They sat in utter silence, with Badr facing forward into the night, and Shoug had her head down, endeavoring not to shatter, not now, not when she came this far. Coming here was her verdict: her choice to wed Badr, and she wanted to trek on this voyage to avenge Gaith.

Desert crickets chirped into the night, and right above their head, an owl hooted, scouring for prey. Now and then, the burning wood crackled, and the light surrounding the fire almost made the desert feel like home. Its warmth bewitching Shouq, pledging her safety, of love she knew she bid farewell to a few hours ago.

Just as a pack of wolves howled into the dark, a call to notify each other that humans had trespassed their territory, Shouq rose and walked a few feet away from Badr. Sitting with him felt like thrones were swathed around her heart, and each throne pricked the organ, causing blood to run down her veins, suffocating her.

She could not. It was too raw.

When she had asked the Rashideen to marry her, Shouq was certain Badr would deny and return her safely to the Borkan tribe. However, when the knight agreed to her proposal, it felt like taking a step closer to locating Gaith's killer. Indeed, both Faris and Badr permitted this matrimony primarily because eyes had witnessed her departing the sanctuary of her tribe to meet with another man in the night; the damage she unwillingly caused led her to accomplish a goal at the expense of her happiness.

Shouq swallowed as she recalled when she said yes, a piece of her heart had split open, for her lips had betrayed Gaith. Her heart belonged to Gaith, and Shouq knew she would never give it away again, not even to her spouse, Badr. The man had merely acceded to shelter Faris's sibling, to guard her virtue from the eyes of the vultures. Shouq was aware Badr did not desire this matrimony because there had been a time, she had waited for him, and Badr had never come.

He never chose Shoug because he was a Badr (moon), and she was a star among the billion others in the inky sky. She was just an obligation!

A single tear trickled down her right eye as the owl above her hooted again; and took its flight into the dark. What will she commit now? Here she was, in the desert, with men she did not know, men she could not trust. Indeed, Badr was her spouse, but they both knew it was merely a card to journey alongside them. Who were these men with Badr? What was their purpose in voyaging along with him? Were they treacherous?