Eagle of Knights Chp14

*After you nothing goes nothing returns* Mahmoud Darwish.

The saddle creaked beneath Shoug's weight as she shifted uncomfortably, trying to find a position that would offer some relief from the jarring motion of the galloping horse. But no matter how she adjusted herself, she couldn't shake the feeling of Badr's presence, his warmth pressed against her back, enveloping her. She stole glances at the dunes, hoping to distract herself, but her nerves betrayed her focus.

She could feel his every muscle ripple beneath her, every breath he took, every heartbeat that echoed against her spine. It was a sensation she couldn't ignore, an unwelcome intrusion into her personal space.

Shoug tried to focus on the scenery, the wind whipping her scarf, the sun painting streaks of gold across the vast expanse of the desert. But Badr's presence was a constant distraction, a persistent reminder of their shared ride, their unavoidable closeness.

To distract herself, Shoug's gaze fell on the knights ahead of them. It was then she permitted herself to think of each man. Jabbir, the friend: the companion she had heard of back when Faris had married Raghad. Jabbir was like a watchful shadow of Badr even when the moon was high in the sky; Jabbir stood and watched with attention, ready to spring to action at Badr's command. Even now, Shoug's horse's rein was in his hand.

Khalfan, who attacked Shoug at Badr's orders, never once lifted his gaze to her. Badr had mentioned he trusted Khalfan with his life, and she wanted to believe his belief.

Saif. He could not speak, or at least this is the impression Shoug got from the little time she had to study them. He was leading them; apparently, Saif understood the desert like the back of his palm.

Dhiyab: a man rather large in size; often reminded Shoug of Nasser, her sibling. A small, almost invisible smile teased her lips. However, a dangerous energy seemed to wrap Dhiyab in a cloak.

And then there were Omer and Thamir; these two always flocked together, and even now, their horses cantered close to each other. It almost seemed like Thamir was protecting Omer just as Jabbir was protecting Badr.

The wind bit and whipped against Shoug's face; she felt a chill run down her spine despite Badr's warmth. The sun, usually a scorching orb of heat in these lands, was now a pale orb hovering above the horizon, casting long, ominous shadows that danced across the parched earth. The distant mountains on the horizon, painted in purples and blues, stood against the encroaching darkness.

"Are you cold?" Badr whispered in her ear, and Shoug almost leaped out of her skin.

"As dusk approaches, the wind is unbearable." She admitted no need to conceal it when he could see her shiver.

Badr inhaled. "Here, wear this." After a moment, she saw him let go of the rein; his right hand then moved towards his head. Badr unfastened his headdress and brought it before Shoug's eyes. "I do not want you to catch a cold."

Shoug gaped at the red, white headdress, then moved her head right, tilted back to look at him, but Badr was looking ahead. "And if you catch a cold, Badr, no one will lead your knights."

She felt a flush creep up her cheeks, a mix of embarrassment and frustration. She had always prided herself on her composure, her ability to remain calm and collected under any circumstances. But this situation was different.

"Do not fret over my health, Shoug. I am a knight. These barren lands are my home." With that, he dropped his headdress on Shoug's lap.

Slowly, Shoug grabbed Badr's headdress and swathed it around her shoulders. She swallowed when the warmth of the headdress seeped through her cloak.