Eagle Of Knights Chp15

I choose to love you in silence, for in silence I found no rejection,

I choose to love you in loneliness, for in loneliness no one owns you, but me,

I choose to adore you from a distance, for distance will shield me from pain,

I choose to caress you through wind, for the wind is gentler than my lips,

I choose to hold you in my dreams, for in my dreams you have no end* Rumi.

**

Shoug picked up the tray just as they finished their food to put it by the side so she could wash and return it. Once done, she picked the brass washbasin and ewer and walked up to where Badr sat, cross feet, next to the fire. Without uttering a word, she placed the washbasin and waited. Badr cupped his hands over the basin, and Shoug poured water from the ewer. Once done, she held out the side of her scarf for him to dry his hands.

Badr looked up at her. "You do not have to do that. Your headscarf will get wet, and it is cold."

Shoug shook her head slowly. "No, it is alright." When he did not move, she raised her eyebrows to encourage him.

Badr grabbed the end of her headscarf with a small smile and gently patted his hands dry. "You have my gratitude."

"This is the least I can do for you for all you've done for me."

"Why do you say that?" Badr did not let go of her scarf, his eyes on her.

"You have taken me under your wing, permitted me to accompany you on this journey, and Badr," she inhaled. "I know how challenging it is for you to accommodate my necessities and keep enough distance between your spouse and your knights."

A frown marred his handsome face. "We must comprehend that not everything in this world is leisurely. If I am to gift you your revenge, then I must be the one to work and make sure you are comfortable in this uncomfortable journey."

At this, Shoug tilted her head and peered at him, and in doing so, a single strand of her hair, the one escaping her plait, caressed her chin. "How on earth do you commit this?"

"I do not understand." Badr's gaze was confused while his fingers brushed against the fabric of her headscarf, still clutched in his hands.

"How are you this selfless, ya Badr? Does it not disturb you that I am your spouse, yet you aid me in avenging my deceased bethroed."

Badr let go of her scarf and sat straighter. She watched his eyes roam around the tent; they landed on the lantern, then finally on her. He entwined his lean fingers, and Shoug noticed his sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

Was he not cold?

"If I become desirous for only a moment, ya Shoug, I will loot all Gaith's memories from you," Badr smiled, but it was humorless. "If I become selfish, ya Shoug: then you need to come to a verdict, sagr al fursan or the merchant. Will you be able to endure it?"

Shoug's stiff shoulders lowered as her heart lifted its head. The wind gaped at Badr, bewildered. It feared that the knight before Shoug may unveil the anomaly in slumber behind those benevolent eyes. At the wind's apprehension, the sky summoned the stars to twinkle brighter when the moon concealed behind the cloak of murky clouds.

"Sometimes, ya bint-al-Hala, it is best for some to remain selfless because as soon as they witness the world with desirous eyes, "he leaned in, their faces now in the glow of the fire. "Carnage will ascend."