Chapter Thirty Eight

"We need to focus on defeating the Dark Lord first. Ominis and I overheard Snape and Karkaroff arguing earlier tonight about a sign they couldn't ignore anymore. Neither of us could see much from the corner of the corridor."

Hermione's eyebrows both raised. "I don't want to know what you both were doing in a dark corridor outside the dance." Blair smirked naughtily. "That reminds me of a dream Harry's been having recently. Not the dark corridor thing of course, but what you said about You-Know-Who. He said his scar has been burning a lot lately. The other night he dreamed about You-Know-Who making preparations with someone named Wormtail. And someone named Nagini needing milking. Some journey not being easy—-It was all very vague."

Blair squinted, "He has a cow? And wormtail? What like a rat?" She faintly recalled thinking about how the school seemed to be infested. There were times where she could hear one scurrying down the corridor late at night or when she was alone walking.

"Not necessarily. Lots of animals can be milked. Don't get me started on Almond milk." Hermione pointed out.

The Victorian witch shook her head, befuddled. "Tomorrow I think I'll try to swim in the Black Lake. Are you interested in joining?"

"To watch? Sure. To swim?" Hermione shook her head quickly, "Absolutely not. There's all kinds of—" She stopped short. A grimace flashed on her face. "Sorry."

"Don't mention it." Blair regarded her wryly. She knew she was screwed. And not in the way she'd like to be.

The Black Lake

Her hair was piled on top of her head in a messy updo that would keep the hair out of her face. A black wet suit covered her body which Ominis had laced a couple enchantments into the clothing. A charm to keep her warm and one to make the material more durable. She felt a shred of safety in comparison to the daunting task ahead of her. Ron was off with Harry still licking his wounds from the night before. Hermione was in some aspects, grateful to be distracted with helping Blair. Ominis was already waist deep in his own dark wetsuit, waiting for her patiently.

She looked at the lake in its entirety. Eerily still, the sun was high in the sky though it was supposed to snow again tonight. There wasn't anyone around, yet she couldn't help the feeling of being watched. Blair casted the human revealing presence, Homenum Revelio, but nothing happened. Ominis' face was relatively blank, but she could tell by the way his jaw was clenched that he was pissed off.

That convinced her. Someone was watching them. Ominis knew it. They weren't a threat otherwise he'd have already dealt with the student or...or maybe it was related to the Dark Lord. Without any warning, he turned his head towards the lacewing bushes that were buzzing noisily to their left.

He opened his mouth, a series of low hisses left his mouth. A dark, gloomy look passed over his face, one she recognized as self hatred. He hated speaking Parseltongue which made her worry about what was in the bushes.

A loud squeak was heard before scurrying away. Ominis went silent, satisfied. Hermione frowned, but thought better of asking. She probably tucked away the question for later.

"Alright. So..." Blair was physically almost shaking, stepping into the water.

"The kitten afraid of water?" Blair turned around just as the magic hit her across the back, "Depulso."