Chapter Fifty Eight

There was a water drop stain on his name, making Seb the only thing legible. Or was it from a tear? It was the first time Hermione had felt such a pensive sadness. She knew Blair and Ominis missed their old friends, but she never understood the gravity of it all. When they talked about Sebastian, it was like they talked about another piece of themselves. They were a trio—a better fitting one she dared to say than her, Ron, and Harry.

Determination and resolution had her close the journal and take a deep breath. She would help Blair and Ominis because they were her friends and because they had already lost so much. The prophecy had been clear to say 'a' life and not Blair's intentionally.

If it came down to it, Hermione would sacrifice herself to save their happiness.

The Gaunt Shack: Part One

Blair was sitting on the couch with the Slytherin locket in front of her. She'd been able to avoid the Headmaster all day, but her luck would run out eventually. Oddly enough, it wasn't the locket that worried her, but Hermione.

Ever since she found her with a grief-stricken expression, the Brunette had been avoiding her gaze the whole time. It was well after Supper, her and Ominis would have to be leaving soon.

"Hermione, what is it?"

She grimaced, "I hope you don't mind, but I peeked at a page in Sebastian's journal."

The Victorian Witch's eyes widened. "What year? Because if it's the year he went into too much detail about how he won the staff Cauldron Cake eating contest and then threw up on Natty's mother, I'm sorry. Although the part where he said she could have seen that coming was a bit ironic."

"It was earlier; 1893. I guess I never truly realized what it was like to lose everyone you cared about." She lamented, "I wish I was able to do more than say I'm sorry."

Blair smiled kindly, "I wasn't completely alone. Ominis and you are the only reason I'm still sane. If not for either of you, I'd probably have burned down the world looking for a way back."

"If you could go back... Would you?"

She never thought about it. Ideas like that were too painful to entertain. "I'm not sure. In this timeframe, Ominis doesn't have to worry about his family. They weren't exactly the nicest people." Blair kept it simple, not wanting to reveal her lovers entire traumatic childhood like a certain Scottish wizard had before. "If being in this time means that Ominis can breathe easier, then I'd sacrifice everything to stay with him."

A knowing expression flashed across Hermione's face. One that made her curiosity dance inside her.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I know you're worried about Draco. Ominis is keeping tabs on the situation." Blair narrowed her eyes, "But you seem awfully worried about someone you've 'hated' for years."

Hermione frowned, "I never said I hated him, did I? That's more Ron and Harry."

"You disliked him enough to punch him in the face."

"As did you."

"True," She amended and then sent her a coy smile, "How long are you going to deny your feelings about him?"