Chapter Forty Three

A warm blanket was placed around her as cheers erupted. She ignored everyone. The only person that mattered was the one who'd taken her in her arms.

"You're okay. You're okay. You're okay." Ominis kept repeating over and over again to himself.

Blair smiled at this, shivering as the bathing suit had no heat charm woven into the fabric. She pulled away slightly to see that his bruises had been healed along with his neck, but he had a terrible nose bleed. Bloodied tears ran down his face. He had pushed himself too hard to take control of such a rare creature in a short amount of time. Ominis didn't say anything more as he collapsed against her.

He was unconscious.

He was cold.

He wasn't breathing.

Another Road to Recovery

Days.

It had been days.

...Since he shouted her name.

...Since he kissed her.

...Since he'd been awake.

Hermione had threatened to throw her into the shower earlier. She was starting to stink from being by his side unmoving, unwavering, unwilling to leave him. After the other Gryffindor brandished her wand, Blair begrudgingly left his side. She showered and grabbed some bread from the Hogwarts Kitchen before returning to Ominis. It was the only thing she could stomach down. The thought of losing him sent her into a pit of despair and she'd been throwing up.

He looked calm on his deathbed. Madam Pomfrey said he'd been beaten prior to the second task and Dumbledore had stopped by to confirm he was never supposed to be in the Black Lake. The Professors had considered it too much of a chore to try and convince him to be apart from her, so they'd chosen Jameson Sallow.

Blair wasn't sure what all happened before the event, but the Head Nurse had said that Ominis over exerted himself to the point of physical deterioration. If he wasn't already blind, he'd have gone blind from the strain his mind took from connecting with a powerful creature over the course of a long distance.

This wasn't some Adder he'd noticed nearby to find her. This was a prized XXXXX magical beast that symbolized one of the four houses of Ilivermony. The American School for Witches and Wizards. Not to mention this Sea Serpent was native to the Atlantic Ocean. How was Ominis able to conjure enough magic to scout one from Hogwarts after being beaten and left for dead in the Lake?

Madam Pomfrey said it was due to his willingness to sacrifice his life for hers that it listened to Ominis in the first place. Blair was biting down on the dry French roll with a sullen expression on her face. While her left hand held the bread, she used her right hand to intertwine her fingers with his. They were long and delicate—He should try learning the Piano. He'd likely be really good at it. If he ever woke up.

His fingers twitched.

The half eaten roll fell to the ground as she leaned forward, carefully studying his face. Ominis' eyelashes fluttered for a moment, his eyebrows scrunching together. He was starting to wake up. Slowly, too slowly for her liking, his eyes opened.

She put her hand to the side of his face, "Ominis? Ominis I'm here."

He only managed a corner of his lip curling up. "I know. I could hear you."