[006]

—006 SUN GOD

𝘑𝘈𝘕𝘜𝘈𝘙𝘠 9𝘵𝘩, 2013

7:33 𝘈𝘔 𝘔𝘌𝘛𝘙𝘖𝘗𝘖𝘓𝘐𝘚

RIO STOOD INSIDE A PHONE BOOTH, punching in her father's phone number. She hadn't stopped thinking about her family during this whole intervention. The phone rang incessantly. She called again. This time a person picked up on the other line.

"Que carajo?" It was Gabriel, her dad's right hand; also her idiot older brother. A very stupid, young guy who didn't really know anything.

"Gabi, where's dad?"

"Rio?"

"No shit, idiot."

"He's out doing business, where you been?"

"Kidnapped. Kind of."

"What?!"

"Why else do you think I'd be gone?"

"I don't know, I assumed you left to see mom again."

"Dad didn't tell you?! Whatever, just tell him I'll call him back with this number whenever I get the chance," she hung the phone up, not wanting to hear Gabriel's annoying voice anymore.

Rio had been enrolled at Metropolis Academy, to her disappointment. She figured it was Batman's way of keeping her out of Gotham. To say it was easy would be a lie; it was annoying and preppy as hell. Superman stickers were plastered on lockers. Every kid stayed in the dormitories; and they all reeked of money. They did the extracurriculars, the sports, they all went out for coffee twice a day. There were the STEM kids, the arts kids, the humanities kids; all nerds and all rich.

Rio carried a single box with a few things her father had left at the police station for her. Her gold bracelets clinked as they hit the box. The sidewalks of Metropolis were pristine, another thing that started pissing her off. She stared up at the glass buildings in front of her before pressing her back against the door and walking in.

"You're late,"

"So?"

The woman handed her a thin sheet of paper, "do you have a legal guardian with you?"

"Bruce Wayne's a little busy right now," she gave her a snotty look, but the name got her to shut up as she read the paper. Obviously Batman falsified a shit ton of documents to get me in here. The woman looked at the girl. She did look rich. The gold earrings and necklaces. Her teeth were white and perfectly straight. The cartel life was profitable enough. The uniform was fine pressed and crinkled in the right places, so you knew it had not been worn before; thanks to the likes of Bruce Wayne.