Prologue

Mila couldn't breathe. For the last twenty minutes she had been running faster than she ever had. Tears in her eyes blurred her vision. She could hardly see straight, her lungs were burning, her legs shaking and her whole body aching like never before.

She collapsed to the ground. Seeking shelter, she crawled behind a large oak tree. She was not safe. Not here. She would never be safe again. Not without him. Not without her father.

Hot tears streamed down her cold pale face. Some strands of her hair fell into her face, they had come loose from her braided pigtail.

Her arms and legs were adorned with scrapes and scratches. And there was blood everywhere. So much blood.

She gave a short sob before pressing her hand to her mouth in shock. The forest was dead silent. She could not make a sound now. She would only bring it to herself. She had to get out of here. Somewhere.

Her heart was racing, she had a huge lump in her throat that made it hard to breathe. She felt sick to her stomach. But she had to pull herself together now and get away somehow. She could not stay here. She had promised him.

Her father would not have died in vain. "Oh God," she thought, "my father is dead. He is dead. Because of me.". New tears made their way into her eyes, but she blinked them away. Her head throbbed.

Only now did she notice the blood running down her face. Was that her blood? Or her father's? She no longer knew. She didn't know anything any more.

The longer she sat there by the tree, the stronger the memories of the last hours came back. She and her father. Together. Camping. She had just been at the river when she heard him scream. He was calling for her. Shouting for her to run away. He would stop it and then come to her.
But she did not run away. Shaken with fear and worry, she ran right towards him. What if he needed help?

But she could never have helped him. She was only a mind fairy. What should she have done? She did not know. The closer she got to her father, the more anger she felt. Anger, worry and determination.

Even before she could see what her father saw, she felt a new emotion: pure fear. Fear for her. "Mila! I told you to leave! Go, Mila! Run as fast as you can, it's a -." but that's when her father broke off as something tried to pounce on Mila.

horror filled her. She felt nothing but pain and her father's fear. The thing in front of her was big, much bigger than her and horrible. It was black with long, scrawny claws and it screamed out the most horrible sound she could ever have dreamed of.

At the last moment, her father ran towards her and threw her over to safety. Mila fell down the mountain she had just run up and could not see what was going on up there. She heard fighting noises, horrible sounds and saw her father trying with all the strength of the water to stop the thing.

He seemed weakened and his strength was not enough and the thing came through his wall of water and attacked with sharp claws. It slashed Mila's father's chest. Her father screamed and now Mila could feel not only the pain of the thing but also that of her father.

She knew she could do nothing against this thing with her magic, but she could fight. she would simply drive this thing into flight with a branch, she hoped. She had to help her father.

She climbed back up the mountain, hot blood running down her neck, she must have hurt her head. But she didn't care, all that mattered was getting to her father.

At the top she saw the worst thing she had ever seen and would ever see: her father covered in blood. He was full of gaping wounds. She saw open flesh, so much blood and something disgusting black spreading in the wounds.
She found it hard to concentrate and not throw up. She could hardly think straight, her head was filled with so much pain.

The thing raced towards her again and she took a branch and tried, as if deliberately, to chase it away with it. But the thing grabbed the branch and broke it like a match.

"No!" her father shrieked and shot a huge jet of water towards the thing, pulling his daughter under him to protect her with his body.

"Mila! You must listen to me very urgently now! Please! Concentrate on my voice, on nothing else. It will come back in a moment. And it will attack again. But I'll protect you. As soon as it gets me, you have to run. Run as fast as you can. Far away. And then you go to Alfea and you tell Farah Dowling everything. She'll help you. She knows what she's doing. Mila, I love you. I'm so proud of you. Be brave. Run. Run for me, my love!".

Mila screamed in pain and had never cried so hard when the thing came again and she realised it was slashing her father from behind and slowly killing him. There was nothing she could do. Blood ran down on her, the light in her father's eyes went out and he was dead.

„Farah Dowling!" Mila remembered. She had to somehow find her. But first, she needed to get up and run.
The memory of her father gave her the much needed strength to pull herself together.