Chapter 4 - Bloom's attack -

Mila awoke with a burning headache. She was disorientated. Her stomach felt pretty bad and her throat burned a lot.
But she was laying rather comfortably in a bed. It wasn't her bed, she knew that much.

She blinked and slowly opened her eyes. The room was dimmed and full of plants. The wall were painted in all kind of greens.

She looked down at herself. Where was her dress? Instead she was wearing a dark grey shirt that was too big for her.
She wished she could remember anything from last night. The last thing she knew, she was drinking shots with Riven and a few of his friends.
But how the hell had she got here?

Her eyes fell on the bedside table. There was a greyish-bluish looking potion and a note underneath. She took the note in her hand and began to read:

Mila,
I really hope, you are feeling a little bit better. You were pretty drunken last night and I got you here.
I got a message from the other winx suite girls. Bloom got in trouble and needed help and I couldn't leave you alone in our dorm so my brother took care of you after you drank your potions.
In case, you still feel nauseous, there is another potion for that so you don't have to throw up again.
Terra

Mila red the letter. Once. Twice. A third time. And with each reading memories flooded her brain. Mostly of Riven. She felt sick again and quickly swallowed the potion.
„So you don't have to throw up... again" Mila felt miserable. She didn't want to be such a burden and the one that had to be taken care of.

She would have loved to stay there forever. Covered in the soft sheets, not having to interact with anybody that could have witnessed her downfall last night.

Mila thought about it. The longer she stayed lying here, the more likely it was that someone would discover her when she went back to her suite dressed like THAT. She really wanted to miss out on this walk of shame and, after drinking the entire potion, set off. After all, there was still a Bloom drama waiting for her.

Surprisingly she made it without seeing anyone. She assumed it was pretty early but the potion had made her awake and she decided to go for a walk after a long hot shower that washed away all the embarrassing memories from her previous night.

She put on a pair of jeans and a green jumper that matched her eyes. Before leaving the bathroom, her eyes fell onto the t-shirt she slept in. She took it and smelled it. It smelled heavenly.

Irgh what are you doing there" she thought to herself in disgust. „He's Terra's brother. And you're probably just attracted to his perfume." she quickly concluded.

She threw it into the laundry basket so that she could give it back to Terra after washing it. She could never come face to face with her mysterious brother. He had probably seen her throw up. Besides, she couldn't get around it and blush super red now that she'd already smelled his T-shirt. „I'm just so mature." she mumbled and rolled her eyes at her childish behaviour.

· • ● ● • ·

The meadows were swept clean that morning. Mila did not see a single soul. She was probably not the only one who had overdone it a little last night.

She sat down on a bench by the wall and called her mother. It had become long overdue. Until now, she had only written her a short message to say that she had arrived safely and had then disregarded her mobile phone altogether.

„Mum, hi! I hope I didn't wake you up." she said as her mother answered the call.
„Oh dear it's fine. But who are you and what have you done to my daughter? Its six o'clock. In the morning. The old Mila would have never been up yet. Are you alright?" the voice of her mother made her feel calm and collected.

Her mother was a middle aged woman and the nicest person Mila knew. She always made sure that everyone around her felt comfortable and good. Hearing her mother's cheerful welcoming voice warmed her heart. Mila hadn't realised how much she had missed her mother until now.

Tears started to form in the corner of her eyes as she listened to her mum about some new project her church had planned. „Honey, are you sure, you are alright? It's pretty tough to leave home at such an early age. Is there something that bothers you? I'm sure I could come and get you if you don't feel ready yet." her mother said concerned.

Something about her mother always made her knew exactly when someone around her did not feel well in their circumstances. Mila knew her mother would get in her car and call Mrs. Dowling in a heartbeat if she needed to, but she knew better. She knew she had to stay.

„Thanks mum. I really appreciate that. It's just.. i miss you. It really is tough. And I miss dad. Many things around here remind me of him. And then there's Stella, one of my dorm mates. I'm sure she hates me. And mum, I'm so young, I don't feel like I really belong here. I'm scared." she rambled as tears fell down her cheeks. Since her father's death she had become much more emotional about many small things. She was more reserved with strangers, but could not hold back her tears with familiar people. It was exhausting.

„I'm sure you are. But darling, let me get this straight. You are an amazing being, I can't imagine anyone not liking you. Do you remember what your grandmother used to say? The only reasons anyone is mean to you without you having done anything to them is their own insecurities. I'm really sorry you feel that way, honey. But you are dorm mates, you need to figure out a way to get along. She's probably not nearly half as bad as it seems. There's more in every person than what meets the eye. And the same thing goes to you. You are so talented. So brave. And so amazing. You are not wrong where you are. You belong there.
If your insecurities and negative selfimage is the only thing that's keeping you fron being unhappy there, I suggest you try harder. Don't listen to that voices in your head. You are so much more stronger than you think." her mother answered wholeheartedly.

After letting that sink in, their conversation turned to much lighter themes. After two hours of talking, Mila saw her friend, Aisha, coming out of the dorm building. She said goodbye to her mother and made her way toward the tall black-haired.

„Aisha! Hey. What are you doing out here this early?" she asked casually. „Swimming. I wanted to go earlier but I really wanted to read the first chapters of our school books. I need to be prepared for monday." she answered with a smile on her face.

„Oh. Sure. Uhm, Aisha. Terra wrote me a letter. She said, something happened to Bloom last night. Is she alright?" mila asked concerned.

Aisha looked down. „Well.. you know, she had homesickness and Stella borrowed her her ring. It works as some kind of portal to the first world. Bloom visited her parents but when she came back, she bumped into a ... burned one. It attacked her and she's fine, but that thing, it has got the ring now.." Aisha answered.

„A... burned one?" Mila asked breathlessly. Her heart sunk, she felt miserable again. She felt like she was about to faint from fear. Pain shook her whole body.

„One was sighted yesterday.. but Mrs. Dowling begged us to not tell you anything about it. Said you were sensitive about that topic. Mrs. Dowling got that burned one though and keeps it somewhere at prison. She said there's no need to worry." aisha shrugged.

But Mila wasn't relieved. Maybe it was the same one that killed her father. „Mrs. Dowling lied. She said I was safe here. She said it wouldn't come. Anf now it's right there. I could have stumbled into it." she thought, sheer horror filled her bones.

To not raise any attention she quickly waved Aisha goodbye and headed straight to the winx suite. She had to look after bloom. She knew herself how fearsome encounters with burned ones were.