Chapter 1 - Alfea

Mila did not directly find Farah Dowling. She found an old hut where she first sought refuge. Exhausted from the day, her eyes almost fell shut when suddenly a woman appeared through a newly forming portal.
It was Farah Dowling.
In tears, she told her everything that had happened and was so grateful when the woman took her in her arms. Gently, Farah stroked her back and let her cry.

She took her to Alfea - the school in the Otherworld that her father had often spoken of - to be cared for in the infirmary.

Farah then took her back to the first world to her mother. Farah was very upset, Mila could feel that, but nevertheless made a firm, secure impression.

Although Mila was only fifteen, Farah Dowling, who was the headmistress of Alfea, decided she should start at Alfea a year early. She said it would be best to overcome the trauma she made once she learned more about her magic and how to control it.

Mila was not only haunted by the memories of that day. Much worse were the terrible headaches that emanated from her father's and that thing's pain. It wouldn't leave her throughout the day and stayed for terrible nightmares.

Mila was afraid of the otherworld but she knew she had to go in order to get better somehow.
She couldn't live like this forever.

_____________

„Okay mum, I love you. I think I'm ready to go." she told her mum the morning she had to leave the first world to start her new life at Alfea.
„You sure, honey? Do you have everything? Your socks? Enough scarfs? It's probably pretty cold there! And do you really want to take that awful jumper with you?" her mother rambled and started to open one of Mila's suitcases to check if she had packed enough of everything.

„Mum, I am sure. Really. You don't need to double-check. You already checked twice last night" Mila laughed at her mother's behaviour.
Despite losing her husband, her mother tried to remain strong for her daughter. But deep down, she mourned and suffered. And Mila could feel that no matter how much her mother tried to hide it.
„Oh the joys of being a mind fairy" Mila thought grimly to herself.

She always envied her mother and their friends in the first world about being normal. About not having to deal with every shitty emotion of everybody around her.

After her mother checked all her 3 suitcases again, Mila's mother drove her off to a place in california where Mila was supposed to meet another fairy from the first world.

_____________

„Wow! It's beautiful yet it looks the same" Bloom said as the two girls walked through the forest alongside a path which should bring her to Alfea.

Bloom was a red-haired girl from California. She was a bit quirky and nerdy but pretty nice. She was a fire fairy and Mila had to laugh at how fittingly it was considering Bloom's flaming red hair.

„I really am looking forward to this. Are you, Mila? You know I always felt like some sort of outcast in our world and I always felt like I belonged somewhere else. What about you? Are your parents both humans like mine?" Bloom chattered as they walked.

Mila felt a sharp pain in her heart by the mention of some parents. It didn't help her unease because she was in a forest in the otherworld again. Sure, it was far away from the place where she and her father had camped and Miss Dowling had reassured her it would be totally safe but she couldn't help it.

The only thing keeping her from having a panic attack was Bloom. Mila tried to focus on Bloom and her emotions. She was excited yet nervous and unsure about everything. Still, this helped. And Mila was grateful for that.

„Hm?" Bloom asked. „Oh. Sorry. No no. Only my mum is human. And I've been to the otherworld a few times, but it wasn't for that long and I don't really know much." Mila quickly answered, hoping Bloom wouldn't ask any more about Mila's parents or her trips to the otherworld.

„oh look! I think I can see something! Is it.. some kind of castle?" Bloom pointed to Alfea.
„It's beautiful."
Mila had only been to Alfea once. It was in the night of the attack and Mila did not remember much.

Alfea truly was beautiful. Maybe, just maybe Mila could enjoy her stay.
She felt hopeful for the first time in weeks and smiled to the red-haired girl. „Yes. That's Alfea." the girls grinned at each other and walked faster towards the school, excitement taking them there.

The school looked huge. „Okay. The gates. We have to wait for Stella here." Bloom stated as they reached the entrance to the school grounds.

They waited silently for fifteen minutes. While they waited they watched the other students that were arriving the school. They all looked happy to be here again and Mila started to relax a bit. Parties or gatherings with many cheerful people always made her cheerful and excited as well.

„I think we have waited enough. Maybe she forgot us. I think we'll find the dorms ourselves." Mila said to Bloom and the girls took their suitcases and backpacks and headed towards the building.
Buildings.

The girls were lost before they eve entered any building of Alfea. „What now? Maybe we should have stayed at the gates to wait for Stella." Bloom said helplessness to Mila.

„Well, we could ask someone.." Mila started as she soon was interrupted by a smiling tall blonde guy „wow! You really do look lost!". The boy turned to Bloom and smiled at her.
Mila, despite being really small, did never experience being overseen.

„Uhm, excuse me?" she said to the tall blonde who didn't seem to hear Mila. He was drawn to Bloom. To Mila's amusement, Bloom didn't seem to care about the guy and started walking away. The guy followed her and because of the many students around them and Mila's suitcases being so heavy, Mila couldn't come after.

„Great. Just great" she mumbled as she watched Bloom and the guy from afar. He was pointing to the buildings explaining something Mila couldn't hear.
„Fine. I'll find it myself then, see you inside, Bloom!" she said annoyed and turned on her heels.

She ran straight into a girl half a head bigger than she was. Two of the many plants the girl was holding fell down and broke. „Oh my god, I am SO sorry! I didn't see you!" the both of them shouted in unison before erupting in laughter.

After helping the girl with her plants, Mila took her hand „hi. Don't worry. It happens all the time. And who cares anyways, I've got plenty of them! I'm Terra. Do you like plants?" Terra rambled so fast Mila couldn't hear everything. But she felt Terra. She felt her unsureness. Her anxiety.
„I still am sorry. I'll buy you two new when I get the chance, promised. I'm Mila." she smiled friendly and hoped, it would calm the nerves of Terra.

_____________

Terra was Mila's dormmate. Mila felt relieved but concerned at the same time. Terra was filled with constant unsureness and social anxiety and it was hard for Mila to not get anxious as well in Terra's presence.

They were met by Bloom and two other girls. „There you are. Good, you found the suite yourself. I am not your babysitter, girl. If I tell you to wait by the gate, you wait by the gait, okay?" a blonde tall, pretty and expensive looking girl said to Mila once she saw her. She must be Stella. And hell was she annoyed.

„Look, I am sorry if I bothered you. It won't happen again. We were just waiting for you for a pretty long time and even we have better things to do than to wait around. If you don't mind, I am going to go to my dorm now and unpack my things before my suitcases annoy you." Mila answered angrily. It wasn't het fault that Stella didn't come to the gates on time.

„Okay. Enough drama for me. I am going swimming. See you later." the other girl in the room said and left with a towel and an apple in her hands.

„Amazing start" Mila thought to herself as she heaved her heavy suitcases to her dorm and tripped and fell to the ground.