prologue ─ to start anew

act one , prologue

act one , prologue ... to start anew !

( spring of nineteen ninety-nine ! )

── ✧ ──

THE NEW UPSTAIRS BEDROOM THAT THE CHILD was currently lying in was something that she did not want. She didn't ask to move to Tacoma. She did not want to move to Tacoma. She just wanted to go back to her hometown in Mackay, Australia. It was more comforting to her than anywhere else. Tacoma, Washington was far from comfort. Too many new things, too many new people. It sucked. It was horrid. But she knows that she has to deal with it. For her parent's sake, for her cousin's sake. And certainly, her brother's sake. She already felt odd, uncomfortable as she was lying on the floor of the new bedroom that she was going to sleep in. But she would lie there not longer.

She finally sits back up, a scrunch of her nose as she stands back up. She noticed something in the ceiling a little bit off. She looks up again, noticing the wiring that was hanging from the ceiling fan. Great. Something else that she needed to fix. The girl finally stands up, looking at the step ladder in the corner. She walks toward it, picks it up and puts it slightly under the fan. Luckily a few tools in one of her boxes already unpacked. It was what she needed to fix the ceiling fan that was on the verge of falling.

The first thing she does is mess with the wiring. It may not be a good idea, especially with her mindset about the house. But she genuinely tries to fix it, as she doesn't want a faulty fan in her bedroom that could possibly fall on her face while sleeping. The fan needed fixing and it was quite possible that their family might not be able to afford something like that.

She's completely out of it, concentrating on the fan and the wiring, she doesn't hear the footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Elvira, mom needs you down─"

The girl named Elvira looks down at her older brother, hearing him speak. The both practically freeze, staring at each other wide-eyed.

"Um. . . What are you doing?"

"I'm fixing the ceiling fan, Salem," she answers in the most dull and cool tone you've ever heard, "Duh."

"Mom told you not to fix things that could spark a fire," The male named Salem replied.

"Does she have the money to pay for this ancient ceiling fan that's been rotting here since the late 1940s?" Elvira asks.

"Uh─"

"That's what I thought," She mutters, before going back to what she was doing.