chapter five ─ padua high: round two

act one, chapter five

act one, chapter five ...
padua high: round two !

( spring , nineteen ninety-nine ! )

── ✧ ──

DAY NUMBER TWO AND IT WAS ALREADY worse than the day before. Elvira was sure that she was going to have to fist fight someone by the end of the week. She was already known as the weird nerd with the weird accent, and a brainiac by others. Though, she had a clue about who could've spread that second nickname around. But she tried to contain the anger and the annoyance that she had for half of the seniors in the English class that she was in. At her desk, trying to ignore the girls who talked shit about other girls and the boys who talked shit about the girls. It was much worse than her old school. And she thought that her old school was pretty bad.

Reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Elvira barely noticed that Kat had sat next to her. She's read it many times, but she was always intrigued by the story enough to keep reading it for a period of time. To be invested in it. Kat didn't interrupt. She knew what it was like to be invested in a good book every now and again. So she just watched for a while. It wasn't until Elvira sat her head up that she noticed her sitting there.

"Oh. Hello."

"Hey," Kat replies back, "Frankenstein?"

"Indeed," Elvira answers, "Ever read it?"

"Heard of it," Kat says, "Is it any good?"

"Splendid," Elvira responds, "It's one of the best books I've ever read. You should definitely give it a read. If you have the time, of course. I think you'd like it."

Kat gives a nod in thought. "Maybe I'll give it a try," She tells the other.

The next thing you knew, Joey had walked into the classroom. Girls practically swooning over him. It makes Kat roll her eyes and Elvira almost vomit. The younger one already couldn't stand to see the sight of him. Elvira looks at Kat.

"What do they see in him?"

"Beats me," Kat mutters.

It isn't until Joey walks over to them that makes Elvira physically stiffen. The last thing that she wanted to deal with was Joey's misogyny and unappreciation for literature. Her jaw clenches, hoping that he would go away by the time class starts, hopefully before then.

"Welcome back. Did you take your mydol?"

"You know, I don't need it today. However, I do have extra painkillers," Kat answered sarcastically, "They're not gonna be for me though."