𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗

kali's pov:

it's been around a month since azi and i had our conversation about starting a family, and ever since then, we've been actively trying.

this evening, i found myself leaving work as the clock struck seven. the reason for my late departure was the parent-teacher conferences that kept me occupied throughout the day.

and to add to the workload, there's another round of conferences scheduled for tomorrow.

while walking to my car, my phone began to ring, prompting me to place my belongings on the car's roof as i fumbled to locate it.

after about thirty seconds, i retrieved my phone from my back pocket, noticing a missed call from my husband. without hesitation, i returned his call, waiting for three rings before he picked up.

"hey, baby. sorry, i couldn't find my phone. is everything alright?" i inquired.

"yeah, i just miss you. you've been gone all day," azi's voice carried a hint of melancholy.

"i know, i'm sorry. the parent-teacher conferences kept me tied up." i explained while securing myself in the car.

"i understand, love. just teasing you." azi responded, his smile evident in his tone. "could you bring some food home? maybe pizza-"

"ah, darn it, azi. i completely forgot i was supposed to cook tonight. work has been consuming all my attention." i admitted.

"it's alright, kali. i get it," azi reassured me, putting my mind at ease.

i knew he wouldn't be upset, but i had promised him home-cooked meals for the past few days. however, with both of us swamped with work, dining out had become the norm.

"still craving pizza? or should i swing by checkers and grab that stuff you oddly enjoy?" i teased.

"you're such a hypocrite, kali. admit it, you love their fries. but yeah, checkers works. it's been ages since i had their food." azi chuckled.

"alright, checkers it is." i confirmed. "i love you, i'll be home in thirty."

"i love you more." azi replied before we ended the call.

when i arrived home, azi was engrossed in his video game, his enthusiastic shouts filling the house. smiling to myself, i closed the door behind me and made my way upstairs.

"i'm home." i announced as i entered our room.

azi's face lit up with a wide grin as he greeted me, "my wife's home!"

laughing, i allowed him to sweep me off my feet, showering me with kisses before settling me onto our bed.

"i missed you." he confessed, his eyes filled with warmth.

"i missed you too, honey," i replied, returning his affection.

handing him his food and placing his soda on the nightstand, i watched as he unpacked his meal.

"where's yours?" he asked, noticing my empty hands.

"i ate in the car," i admitted with a giggle. "i was famished."

"no food provided after staying at the conferences all day?" azi raised an eyebrow.

"they did, but it was mainly for the families. besides, i wasn't too bothered about it. some people don't even have the luxury of a home-cooked meal." i explained.

"always thinking of others, my baby." azi commented, gently caressing my cheek.

engaging in light conversation, i waited for azi to finish his meal.

"have you spoken to your family?" i inquired.

"yeah, my mom checked in. dad's out of town for work, and i couldn't reach him." azi replied. "how about your family?"

"kiara and i caught up at work. kobe's swamped with college, but we talk regularly. and you know my mom, always at home." i shared. "i want to visit them soon; kobe's coming home next weekend for a break."

"you should go." azi encouraged. "it's been a while since we moved."

"i know." i sighed. "i've just been swamped."

i felt overwhelmed by the busyness of our lives lately. finding time for myself seemed like a luxury, let alone cooking dinner for my husband.

how on earth are we going to handle bringing a child into this chaos?

"azi, do you think we'll make good parents?" i voiced my concern.

"absolutely." he replied without hesitation.

"you're not just saying that, are you?" i nervously twiddled my fingers.

azi set aside his food and knelt in front of me, taking my hands in his and planting gentle kisses on them. unable to look away, i listened intently.

"baby, you're going to be an amazing mom. i have no doubt about it. you're fantastic with the kids at school, our friends' children, even our little cousins. i wouldn't have married you if i didn't believe you'd make a wonderful mother." azi reassured me sincerely.

i chuckled at his last remark. "thank you. i just worry sometimes about not being good enough. look at our schedules; we barely have time for each other. how will we manage when a baby comes along?"

"we'll make time because we'll have to. we'll be a family then." azi stated matter-of-factly. "and as for us, i can make arrangements at work. you're my number one priority, kali onfroy."

grinning, i attempted to conceal my blush. if you were to tell me in middle school that azi and i would be married, discussing starting a family, i would've laughed in your face.

i couldn't believe how much my life had changed. "you're going to be an amazing dad."

returning my smile, azi leaned in to kiss me. we settled back onto the bed, enjoying each other's company for the rest of the evening.

later, as we cuddled and watched movies, my phone buzzed with a message from jaslene. she had recently given birth to a baby girl and was expecting again. jaslene had been my close friend since high school, practically my sister.

it felt reassuring to know that amidst the chaos of our lives, we had each other and our supportive circle of friends.

tomorrow, when i made dinner for jaslene's visit, i looked forward to catching up with her and sharing our experiences of navigating the journey into parenthood.