Chapter 4

Matthew Jones, 9 years old

"I'm sorry honey that we had to move but I'm sure you'll have lots of new friends." My mom apologies again, I just look down at my lap.

I didn't have any friends back there.

My eyes make contact with Mickey's and my eyes widen. "I didn't mean it like that, Mickey." I rub it's head. "you're my best friend,of course."

I have lots of stuffed animals but Mickey is my favorite. It was the first one that my parents got it for me.

It knows everything about me. I can tell him anything and it won't tell other people. I smiled down at my best friend. "I don't need anyone when I have you."

-------

My parents decided it was a good idea to visit our neighbors before we even unpacked.

I tagged along with them. They've been knocking for a while but no one opened the door. I sighed and followed my parents to our new house but then I stopped.

I turned around, not knowing what I was looking for but I saw a little girl in the window, I could see fear in her eyes, the same fear that my mommy had when daddy got into an accident.

She quickly stepped away from the window. I stood there though, hugging Mickey to my chest, wanting to know why she was afraid.

After few seconds, she looked through the window again. I smiled and waved at her.

Maybe she could be my friend.

She disappeared again. I frowned. Maybe she didn't want to talk to me. I looked down to Mickey. "What do you think?" I asked knowing I wouldn't get an answer.

I was about to walk away when I saw a woman walking towards the same house with a key in her hand. Just then the little girl looked out of the window again, my eyes lit up seeing her.

Maybe she was afraid because she was alone. Now she wouldn't be afraid anymore. "Hi" I said but I knew she couldn't hear me.

The second their front door opened, the little girl ran away from the window. I took a step towards the door, then another and another and then I saw the door was open. I peered inside.

The woman turned towards me and clapped her hands. "And who might you be?"

I  didn't answer, I was looking at the girl. I wanted to ask her if she wanted to be my friend.

She turned to little girl then and smiled, "they must be new neighbors, do you want to play with him?"

I'm so glad she asked that, I know I couldn't. She said yes and we walked outside, walking side by side. "I'm Matthew."

"Michaela." She answered.

Michaela.

I looked down to Mickey. Don't worry you're still my best friend. "Nice to meet you and this is Mickey." I showed her my bear, "he's my best friend."

She laughed, "he's your best friend really?"

I nodded my head. "My only friend but I don't need anyone else. He's the best." I hugged my best friend and Michaela suddenly shoved me.  "Let's play a game, you have to catch me." She says with a laugher and runs.

So she wants to play with me. I smiled and ran after her, my hold on Mickey tightened so I wouldn't drop him.

Matthew Jones, 17 years old

She became my best friend. Don't tell Mickey but I loved spending time with her more.

And then I had to leave.

But that's not the worst part, because before I had to move, I had to ignore her.

My dad didn't like her. She said she was just like her father. "Like father, like daughter." He spat at me after beating me up for wanting to play with her.

He said he'd hurt her too if he saw me with her. I was 12 but still I didn't understand why he hated her so much. He said my mom left us because of Michaela's father.

I didn't understand.

Now I do.

My mom cheated on him with Ela's dad.

I was happy when my aunt came back and told me I'd live with her from now on. I just didn't realize I'd have to move away.

That I wouldn't see my Ela anymore.

I thought I could be friends with her again because my dad wouldn't live with me but I was wrong.

I missed her so much.

It's the first time I'm seeing her after 5 years and she looks angry.

She should be. I don't mind. But when that ball hit my neck, it reminded me of how my dad used to hit me.

"Ela." The word leaves my mouth before I can stop it.

Her eyes soften after staring at me. "Matthew."

The bell rings indicating that the class ended and people start leaving.

I smile.

She's here. Right in front of me. And she's fine. I look down at her wrist but I don't see the bracelet.

My heart clenches but I don't let it show on my face. I still have mine. I always will. It's hanging around my neck but it's not visible because it's under my shirt.

"Matthew!" I hear Caroline, my cousin, calling me.

Ela rolls her eyes as Caroline stands next to me. "What are you doing?"

"Michaela let's go." A girl I haven't noticed before says, walking away.

Ela follows her without saying a word.

Does she hate me?