Chapter 15

Michaela, 11 years old

"Daddy, can Matthew and I have a sleepover?"

My dad took his glasses off and looked down at me, "what?" He asked raising an eyebrow

"Please, daddy. Everyone's in school are having sleepovers with their best friends and Matthew's mine, can we have a -"

"No." My dad said simply and put the glasses back on, continue reading his paper.

"But daddy-"

"No, princes can't do." He shook his head and I pouted sitting next to him and hugging his shoulder.

"Please daddy, please, please, ple-" when he looked at me, I tried my hardest to show my puppy eyes and I think it worked because he sighed in defeat.

"How can I say no to that face." He stroked my hair, "fine. But he comes over here and he's sleeping on the floor."

My eyes widen, "but dad he'll hurt his back."

"Not my problem." He smirked and stood up going into kitchen as I ran to front door hearing the bell.

Michaela, 17 years old

"Matthew, what are you doing?" I ask, seeing him getting ready to lay on the floor of my bed.

"Sleeping here just like old times." He chuckled as if thinking about those times and sat on the floor next to my bed.

"Nonsense. Come here." I patted the place beside me on the bed.

"I don't want to make you uncomfortable." It was dark but I think I saw him blushing.

"You never make me uncomfortable, now come or we'll both sleep on the floor."

Matthew shook his head in amusmement and got up, sitting on the bed with his back against the headboard.

"You okay?" He asked, his hands reaching out to stroke my hair and I had a glance of a bracelet through his shirt. He was wearing a white shirt and it was quite visible from near.

"What is that?" I asked pointing at the direction of the bracelet, not wanting to have a high hope that it was the same one I gave him, afraid I'd be let down.

But to my surprise, Matthew blushed and turned his head. "Uh... It's the....the bracelet."

The bracelet. I realized what he meant by that and smiled.

"You kept it. My bracelet?" I asked, full with joy.

He nodded his head and cleared his throat. "It's stupid, especially that you don't have yours." His eyes darted to my wrist before meeting my eyes and he shook his head. "Let's sleep."

I got up from my bed and looked around the room, I haven't picked the bracelet up after I threw it away in anger.

"Ela?" I didn't pay attention to Matthew as I glanced at my bracelet. I quickly bend down and took it.

I ran to my side of the bed and grinned at Matthew. "I still have it." I thought he'd be happy but he wasn't, on the contrary, a look of pain crossed his face.

"Yup. You do but treat it as a garbage." He snapped at me and I frowned. "That's not true!" This bracelet wasn't a waste to me. It was everything. Everytime I had it on me and looked at it, I remembered Matthew, my best friend and everything we've done together.

"Oh, really then why was it laying on the floor waiting to be thrown out." His voice raised and I felt like crying.

I turned my back towards him, furious with him that I didn't want to explain anything.

There was few minutes of silence and I was already falling deep asleep when I heard Matthew mumble near my ear, "sweet dreams."