Chapter 10

Michaela

"No way." I refused to believe that my dad would cheat on my mom. They were so in love. I know that my father did something that broke my mom's heart but it can't be cheating.

No way.

"It's true. I'm sorry, Michaela."

I looked up to face Matthew. "So all of these is my dad's fault?" It's his fault that I live with my mom only and that Matthew couldn't talk to me anymore because his dad punished him for it.

Because not only my dad cheated but he cheated with Matthew's mom.

How could he?!

"Ela, it's not your dad's fault that my father turned out to be sick person, okay?" He cupped my face and my heart melted at soft look in his eyes.

I missed him so much.

"Yes. He shouldn't have cheated, and my mother shouldn't have either but it's not their fault that my father be-" he closed his mouth before he'd say that his father used to beat him when he asked for me.

A single tear escaped my eye and I turned to look at my shoes.

I feel guilty for all the times that I hated Matthew for cutting me off like that. But he didn't have a choice.

"I'm sorry." I whisper but he heard me because he started caressing my arms.

"There's nothing to be sorry for. You, Ela, haven't done anything wrong." He pulled his face closer to mine, like he was going to kiss my cheek or forehead but then backed away, his hands falling from my face.

"I'm sorry for ignoring you." He admitted honestly.

"It wasn't your fault." I replied.

"Yes, it was. I mean, I should've at least told you what was happening so you'd not feel bad- I- I didn't mean to hurt you."

He ducked his head and sighed. "I'll never forgive myself that you were hurting because of me."

Does he care about me that much?

"You care that much about me huh?" I asked sarcastically, but wanted the answer.

Matthew looked up and smiled. "More than anyone "

There was a big grin on my face until I remembered that he had a girlfriend, and it wasn't right if he cared about me more than her.

I'd want my boyfriend to care about me the most.

"What about your girlfriend?" I asked.

Matthew's brows furrowed and he tilted his head. "I don't have a girlfriend."

I stepped back at his words, "wh-what do you mean? Caroline-" I think that was her name, "isn't she your girlfriend?"

Matthew looked confused but then chuckled and looked down at me with adoration.

"She's my cousin." I never thought one sentence could make me so happy.

I'm literally dancing in my mind.

"Really?" I asked, trying not to show that I'm relieved.

"Yeah, I haven't mentioned when we were kids because I didn't know."

I nodded my head. But didn't ask anything else because I was so tired from understanding what he told me and math, that my mind was full for today.

"So..." Matthew cleared his throat as we walked to my locker.

"Can we hang out today after school?" He asked hesitantly and I smiled, opening my locker and turned to him, "like old times?"

"You're not mad at me, are you?" He asked with a hint of fear in his tone and I smiled at him to reassure him that we were okay. How can I be mad at him after knowing everything.

"Of course not, Matthew." I placed my school bag in my locker and opened my arms for him to hug me.

Matthew smiled warmly and pulled me to his chest. "I missed you too Matthew."

His hands tightened against me and I did the same.

My best friend is back.