Twenty Two

Hanging out with Cain proved to be a lot more than Ryan had expected. Not in a bad way because the blond boy wasn't expecting much. Admittedly, he was just going with the flow wherever Cain was concerned but, he was learning more and more about the senior each day. Every minute spent in the presence of Cain meant a new discovery to Ryan and for some reason, it made the junior even more curious.

So far, he knew Cain wanted to be a doctor, a cardiologist to be specific, and that dream stemmed from Cain's personal experience with his mother. Ryan found that admirable. There weren't many people he knew who had their goals so set in stone and were working towards them as diligently as Cain did. In a way, he found himself feeling proud of the senior every time Cain mentioned a new fact about hearts and Ryan could never stop smiling as he listened.

He had also found out recently that Cain had an older sister who was married and living as an expat in Japan with her husband and two children. Cain had mentioned her when Ryan saw a photo of her hanging in the living room of the former's house.

Now that Ryan thought about it, Cain's house had become a second home to him over the Christmas break. He had spent more time there with him than he had with Ruxie and Nora, which was unheard of him. Ryan used to spend every second of every day with his best friends, but now those seconds were spent thinking about Cain, hanging out with and doing stuff with Cain.

The blond boy bit his lip and tore his eyes away from the TV in Cain's living room. The two of them had been watching a show since Ryan came in at noon and checking his phone, he realized it was now a quarter to six in the evening which meant that Cain's parents would be home soon from work. He turned around to let Cain know that it was time for him to go home only to find the tall boy passed out on the couch.

Ryan felt his shoulders sag at the sight before him. He bit his lip, suddenly relieved and unsure of why he felt so. Maybe it had to with the fact that Cain found him interesting enough to want to hang out with him and tell him all these things about himself. Maybe it was the fact that Ryan didn't feel the need to overcompensate and become a different person whenever he was with him. Or maybe it was the fact that Cain felt comfortable with him and trusted Ryan enough to be able to fall asleep in his presence.

He breathed in silently as he watched the senior who had fallen asleep in the midst of watching the show, taking in all his features. A sleeping Cain was a completely different person than the one Ryan had gotten used to. Though he knew a lot about the senior now, the blond boy still felt that there was so much to discover. As far as he was aware, Cain's mysterious and cold aura was simply nonexistent once his eyes were closed. His jaw wasn't set straight as it usually was, his dark eyes didn't bore straight into Ryan's as if he was trying to uncover every little secret the junior kept hidden. In fact, it was Ryan who now had the chance to watch Cain and try to uncover who the man before him was.

He was completely unaware of how close he had gotten to Cain's face while deep in his thoughts until his nose almost bumped into Cain's. Ryan pulled back, but only slightly. He remained close enough to Cain that any sudden move would cause his lips to smash into Cain's soft-looking ones.

But that wasn't what bothered Ryan.

What made him uneasy was the fact that he thought Cain's lips would feel soft against his.

What the fuck? Why do I wanna know how soft Cain's lips are? How had it gotten to this? Why was he thinking about wanting to kiss Cain of all things? Cain, of all people? Ryan instantly pulled away from the sleeping senior, even going as far as to stand and put a few feet between him and the senior, placing his hand on his mouth and the other on his heart it pounded so fervently beneath his chest. He had never imagined his life would come to this.