Chapter 15: Clear Skies Part 2

"I want that girl Mattie." The young girl's voice said, the voice distorting ever so slightly, enough that it was unnerving.

Ace paused his walking as he felt Ryoko's body tense at the words, he slowly turned his head towards where the voice was coming from.

Standing not too far from them was two people, one was a man with a well-groomed beard, his long brown hair tied in a braid which hung over his marine uniform. Beside him was a young girl, probably around the age of Luffy. Her bright green emerald eyes peeked out from under fluffy black bangs which accompanied the black poof of hair that almost made a sideways cylinder at the end of her high ponytail. The strange girl was made stranger with her current attire, it was a white layered dress with green underlayers and over her head sat some sort of bubble. It almost looked like she was wearing a fishbowl on her head. One of her gloved hands tugged on the man's pant leg while the other pointed toward the sick girl.

The marine, Mattie, looked towards the three boys and the bundled-up girl. He clearly wanted to say something, but decided against whatever he was going to originally say, "Let's do this nice and easy boys, hand over the girl and you can continue on your way." he tries to reason.

Ace glared daggers at the man, "Like hell, I'm gonna let you take her." he seethed as his grip on the blanket tightened. Luffy ran up in front of Ace and began to prepare a punch toward the man.

That was until Sabo grabbed his arm and Ace's shoulder, eyes looking at the young child who was watching patiently, seeming to enjoy the scene. "We need to let them take Ryoko. We have to..."

Ace looked at him with wide eyes, "What's gotten into you?! We can fight or run." he says narrowing his eyes at his younger brother. His grip loosened on the blanket as he was taken off guard at the idea.

Ryoko let out a small whimpering sound as she slipped out from under the blanket, her body immediately shaking at the temperature change as she began to walk towards the duo, only stopping as both of her hands were grabbed. As she turned her head to look toward the freckled boy and the straw hat-wearing boy who had stopped her. She forced a smile on her face, "Thank you... I'm sorry... The bright side is... I won't be with them long anyway."

Both boys frowned as they could feel her hand shaking in theirs before she was snatched out of their grasp by the marine, "Sorry kids. You best get lost."

Ryoko didn't fight back instead she almost seemed to go limp like a doll, trying to be the least helpful in being carried. However, her body tensed as she began to cough violently into her hands. 

Mattie turned back to the young child who grinned giddily, "A new friend!" she exclaimed happily grabbing onto the coughing girl's arm, "come on Mattie." she says before leading the marine away.

Sabo clenched her eyes shut as he held onto his two brothers, making sure they didn't follow after the girls and marine. As Ace pivoted around to face him however he noticed the blonde's face was paler and seemed to hold the expression of a defeated person.

That was the last thing Ryoko saw of the trio as she was carried through the streets and alleyways into town center. The marine followed after the child who went into a nearby building. Ryoko's nose scrunched at the smell of medicinal alcohol in the building, a doctor's office. The secretary's eyes blew wide seeing the scene and she scurried out of the room, begging them a moment.

A female doctor entered the waiting area, "This way please Saint Cecelia." Ryoko felt her blood run cold at the familiar name as she was carried into a room by the marine. Once she was laid down on the table the marine stood back, as Cecelia and the doctor glance over the sick girl. One with seemingly morbid interest, the other being concerned with doing the best possible job.