Chapter 19: Hope in the Desert

That had been the previous night, and Ryoko had not gotten much sleep as something deep down was churning with unexplained anxiety at being away from the firey male. She couldn't help but remember having the same feeling in her gut a long time ago. When she first had to leave Ace, Sabo, and Luffy back on Dawn Island. She could only hope that it wouldn't last too long. Come morning it had shifted from a stabbing pain to a dull crushing weight on her shoulders and chest.

Ryoko kept her mask on her face as she walked silently at the back of the group, focusing only on what was ahead of her. There was so much she felt she had to do, she had to head for Yuba, to help Vivi stop a civil war. She had to help Luffy find Crocodile, so he could fight him for messing with Vivi's homeland. She had to get back to the Going Merry to get back to her room, to be certain the snail communication worked. There was a lot to do, and it felt like forever trudging through the hot sand of the desert dunes.

Little did she know but there was almost a palpable aura of worry surrounding her up until the current moment as she was snapped from her thoughts. Her focus shifted as Sanji was now walking beside, smiling reassuringly, while Usopp was behind her and the camel was still ahead of her. "Was it that obvious?" She asked glancing up at Vivi who was looking back at her a bit worriedly.

"You barely ate anything last night and nothing at all this morning." Vivi began brow furrowed, in worry as she sat side saddle on Eyelash's back, "You seemed to have gotten pretty close to Ace recently too."

"That's cause he saved my life a long time ago, and I am kicking my butt for forgetting. He's grown up quite a bit since last I saw him." Ryoko admits while walking, not looking at the princess staring at the horizon. "He and his brothers. Along with one other person, but I don't know if what they did was considered helping honestly. "

"He saved your life? I mean he seems like the kind of person to do that, but what did he save you from exactly?" Usopp asked causing the girl to look over her shoulder at him.

"I was very sick from traveling and malnutrition. He was dead set on making sure I got the medicine I needed. Once he had that he made sure I had food to eat, and that I had a warm place to sleep. He made sure that I got back to being strong again. By every means, I owe him my life for finding me on death's door. I still remember the last meal I managed to get before he and his family took me in. It was just a mushy apple and some moldy bread, but it was probably the largest dinner I had in years at that point." Ryoko says towards the long-nosed man before looking forward again. "He and his brothers... I owe them my life, I won't ever abandon them. Because they never gave up on me."

It was silent walking for a little while before Usopp spoke the question that most of the group was thinking, "But then why did you leave?"

The woman's body tensed, and there was a quiet yet audible click of her teeth as she grew tight-lipped on the subject.

"Clearly she didn't want to long nose! Ryoko dearest is too sweet to leave her friends behind willingly!" Sanji exclaimed spinning to look at Usopp who huffed, too tired to bother causing much fuss over the cruel nickname.

She let out a heavy sigh at the antics, "Sanji..." Ryoko mutters quietly before looking down at the sand once again, "Don't call Usopp that... but you aren't wrong about me not really wanting to leave them behind. Especially after Ace promised he wouldn't leave me behind. I broke that promise first. I don't blame him for leaving me behind." she says gloomily as she kicks the sand while walking. "You guys make it easier to deal with." She mutters.

"If it's any consolation, I don't think Ace was too fond of having to go either." Usopp spoke up and the girl froze for a moment before continuing to walk, "It was pretty obvious even though he was smiling. I don't think he wanted to upset his brother or you."