Chapter 16: Instinct

"Bastards! I guess that's rebel soldiers for ya," Sanji says as he began to run away dragging Luffy with him.

"I've never seen such a display of strength!" Usopp piped up while running after the blond chef.

Ryoko clued in on the scene and sprinted alongside Ace off to the side, swinging wide before splitting up. Ace ran after the group while Ryoko ran around the side of the city wall. Ryoko quickly hopped on the back of the large gecko and began to ride on its shoulders as it ran after the group. As she approached the group she pulled her mask to the side with a bright grin on her face, "That went well!" She says having only really seen the outcome.

Luffy sent a big grin to the girl on the gecko, "yeah it did!" he says as they kept running until two dunes were between them and the town. The pace slowed down for the sake of those who had to walk. The heat began to take its toll on the group once more as they walked, each of them feeling rather uncomfortable with the sun beating down on them.

Eyelash, carrying Vivi and Nami, walked at the front of the group. Luffy walked next to the camel with Usopp behind him, leaning heavily on his walking stick. Sanji walked behind him and Zoro dragged the makeshift sled with Chopped on it behind him. Ace and the gecko, who still carried Ryoko, walked at the back of the group.

Ryoko leaned forward on the gecko's head as she brings out a water skin and gently tapped the front of the gecko's snout. The gecko's mouth opened and she poured a bit of water in the creature's mouth before capping the water skin and tucking it away. "Thanks for still carrying me Sunny." She says rubbing the gecko's head affectionately.

Ace glanced over at the girl, "Did you really give it a name? You do know you are gonna have to leave it here more than likely." He points out a bit begrudgingly, not wanting to upset the girl.

"You're just jealous Sunny is carrying me around and not you," Ryoko says sticking her tongue out at the freckled man who chuckled at the sentence. This caused a click in her mind, "I mean- you- uh-" She whines in frustration as her sentence wouldn't go together easily, she took a deep breath of the hot desert air and sighed hiding her face in the frills of the gecko, "I meant you wanted to ride on Sunny instead of walking." she whines before peeking out from her hiding place.

Her eyes darted from Ace towards the front of the group where yet another less intense fight over water had begun. Usopp pulls the barrel and straw out of Luffy's grip causing water to splash onto the ground. Ryoko sighed and moved past Chopper and Zoro before hopping off the gecko behind Luffy and Usopp, "Stop spilling water you slob," Usopp exclaimed as some hit the sand.

"What's the big deal? Ace brought plenty of water for everybody." Luffy says putting his hands on his hips.

"Well, we still have to conserve our supplies. So quit hogging all the water for yourself." Usopp says still holding the small barrel.

Luffy pouts a little and glances over to the chef, "Why is it okay if Sanji does?"

The blond chef smiled holding a cigarette in his mouth while motioning to his water skin, "This is for the lovely ladies of the group, so if they get thirsty or dehydrated and call for water I can bring it to them in a heartbeat." he says.

Ryoko deadpans at that and sighs before slinging both arms over Usopp and Luffy's shoulders, pulling them to either side of her chest in partial headlocks, "Listen here. Yes, conserving water and food is important, however, Usopp you shouldn't pull the straw out of Luffy's mouth, a few dribbles of water is better than the splash that just happened."

Luffy grinned and stuck his tongue out at Usopp around the girl's chest, who simply sighed, "And Luffy," He looked up at the girl as he was addressed, it was quiet for a moment as she sighed, "Try to make the water last okay? sip at it, not gulp it." She says before releasing both boys out of her hold and glancing toward Sunny.