*the picture above will be referenced*

LAYTON

"Don't you look cute," Gemma complimented. "Are you trying to impress anyone special?" she smirked.

I had just gotten to Anne and Robin's house. I came through the back gate as soon as I got here because I'm basically a part of their family. I had walked straight through the gate and to the huge backyard where there were people everywhere and instantly found Gemma.

I also don't know why she thinks I look cute. I'm literally wearing black biker shorts with an oversized white t-shirt. I even found a pair of black sunglasses to complete my outfit. I'll take any compliment I get, I guess. It makes me feel better about myself.

I need that reassurance some days and others I don't need it at all, but today is a day when I don't feel 100% confident in my skin, so I appreciate her compliment even though I don't necessarily think I look as good as she says.

"Yeah at your parent's house," I said, rolling my eyes and hoping she got the sarcasm. "I was hoping to impress your cousins and uncles," I rolled my eyes.

Every month, if we're all not too busy, we try to get together at Gemma's parent's house. I mean we as in myself, my step-brother, my dad, and my step-mom. We all like to come over to Anne and Robins for either brunch or dinner. We were like one big family and have been doing this since Gemma and I were little kids and became best friends. It's one of my favorite traditions that we do.

Usually, it's just both of our immediate families, but occasionally I have some cousins or my grandparents join us. The same goes for Anne and Robin's family. Today, it was just my immediate family while Gemma had a lot of her extended family over. I would find it odd if I didn't know any of them, but we've been doing these kinds of get-togethers like this for as long as I can remember. I know all of them and they all know my family as well.

"I guess I should've thought about where we were before I asked my stupid question," she smiled. "While we're on the topic of you trying to impress one of my relatives, can I set you up with-"

"No," I stated. "You're not setting me up with anyone, especially anyone you're related to," I explain.

"I promise you'll like this one,"

"Not happening," I stated.

"And why not?"

"What? Why I don't want you to set me up with someone in your family or someone in general?" I asked to clarify.

"Both,"

"The last few guys you set me up with were absolutely awful so I don't want to go through that again even if you think you can redeem yourself," I began. "And the family part of it all just seems wrong to me. Do you know how awkward it would be if I began dating someone in your family? That seems so weird, I couldn't do it," I shook my head.

"Even if it would be weird, I would eventually get over it," she shrugged. "I want you to be happy and if that's with someone I'm related to then I would get over the initial weirdness and how awkward it could be,"

"I would feel wrong to do that," I said. "I understand that you would be okay with it in the end but I don't think I could do that to you or your family,"

"What? Be in a relationship with someone in our family?" she asked. "I'm sure everyone would love it. Imagine you being with someone in my family, you guys get married and then we could officially be family. How awesome would that be!" she said, instantly getting excited about the thought of that insane possibility.