LAYTON

"You're actually going to do it?" Adrian asked after I briefly mentioned the blind date that Gemma set me up with.

"Can it hurt?" I ask as I begin the closing process.

I'm not closing the daycare today because I'm leaving a few hours before actual close, but I wanted to help with the process becasue I am leaving early.

Tonight is the last blind date that I'm going to go on with the help of Gemma planning it. It's not that I don't trust her to continue setting me up, but I feel like if this date goes bad then I should try the whole dating process by myself. Gemma wouldn't have to feel bad if the dates go horrible when I go on them all on my own. She may say that she doesn't feel bad, but I know her and deep down she feels guilty that the dates aren't going amazing or how she expects.

"I don't think it can, but I don't want you to get hurt again," she said as she watch me begin to clean behind the desk. "I see how you are after failed dates. You look sad,"

"I think that's how it will always be. I get sad or upset in general when a date doesn't do well. How would you feel if you spent up to 2 hours getting ready just for it to be wasted on a guy that didn't treat you well whatsoever? I feel awful for a few days after and then I'm fine beasue I erase it from my mind. But I promise you, I will always be fine in the end," I explain to her. I hate when my friends feel bad for me. It makes me feel guilty that they're thinking of me instead of themselves.

"I understand that feeling 100%. But you need to keep a positive headspace. Don't think it's going to go bad because this could be the best date of your life," Adrian said, looking on the bright side.

"Do you blame me for thinking it's going to be bad?" I asked. "Every other date something bad has happened so I guess my brain now thinks each date going forward will also be bad,"

"Think positive thoughts Layton. You are going to find your perfect last first date. Whether that be tonight, a month from now or years. He is out there and waiting for you,"

"Thanks Adrian, you really have a way with words," I smiled.

"Now get out of here and get your beautiful self ready for that date,"

"Are you sure you don't need me for another hour to help out? I said I would stay a bit later even though I'm leaving earlier,"

"Go," she simply said. "I'll be fine here until Skyler gets in. Text me how the date goes and I'll come over if you need me. Think positively about yourself and the situation. You will be just fine with or without a man in your life,"

"You're right," I nodded. "I don't need a man, I just want one," I laughed.

"Get out of here," she said and she looked down at one of the monitors. "Leave before the kids wake up and see their favorite person is gone,"

"Bye, Adrian. I love you," I said, jokingly blowing her a kiss.

*

I had just gotten out of the shower and was standing in my closet to figure out what I'm going to wear. I think this is the hardest part of getting ready. I always have so many options, but I can never choose what to wear.